Cubase 12 freeze on exit, nonresponsive, can't re-open

Hi
I often experience (but not always) that Cubase freezes on exit. Not responding, can’t click anything.
(the project was saved and closed, but Cubase won’t let go)
Then I have to do ctrl-alt-delete to force-close it.
Then when I re-open Cubase, it’s stuck “checking licenses”, it’s not responding and then it just quits.
Only a computer restart helps.
What to do?

(windows 11)

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

I have the same issue. Cubase 12 crashes a lot for me!

Hi @Martin.Jirsak
Thanks for guide.

The thing is… Cubase isn’t listed as “not responding” when it freezes.
So I can’t make dump file it seems.
But it is unresponsive as I can’t use the menu (nothing happens when clicking on the top menu bar), and have to force-end cubase in task manager.

If you’re still at the point where you haven’t killed Cubase in Task Manager, you should be able to use procdump to capture a DMP file. If you’ve already killed it in Task Manager, it is, of course, too late.

With respect to your original post in this thread, I am on Windows 10 rather than Windows 11, but I have seen this issue, where, after having to kill Cubase restarting it will “poof” (i.e. the application disappears with no message, though I think there was something in Event Viewer) until after rebooting, twice thus far.

The first time I was trying to try something another user mentioned as crashing Cubase 12.0.30. See:

for more details.

The second time I’d just backed up a project. More details are here:

That one was a bit upwards of 2 weeks ago, and I haven’t had the issue since. However, I also haven’t used Cubase much in the last few weeks due to having recently finished the album I was working on and having other areas of activity (e.g. artwork, admin, etc.) to deal with. The first two incidents were a bit over a week apart, though, so I don’t think it probably was relatively rare for me in that I was probably working in Cubase 8+ hours most of the days between the incidents.

The call stacks from both DMP files had similar entries and seemed to involve only Cubase and system calls.

Process explored kill app is the most used function since last update of Cubase 12. Freezes randomly on open, on save (and project is NOT saved, this one I like a lot!!!), during some edits, everywhere. 100 times per day. Tons of dump files. Thank you, steinberg, good work!

Everytime you have to restart PC / or terminate these apps:
cubase12.exe
+steinberglicenengine.exe
+sysnsopos.exe
It’s not enough to terminate cubase12.exe only. Only God knows why Steinberg does not have a solution.

Hmm ok sometimes it just takes a long time to quit, other times it never quits