Cubase 12 freezes when left running overnight (win10)

If I leave a project open and come back next day screen is locked. The mouse pointer is replaced by a symbol I don’t even recognize. The project has to be killed in the Task Manager. Has happened repeatedly.

1 Like

I have similar issues. I have regular freezes and weird behaviour with C12 but most often it seems it doesn’t generate a .dmp file so I guess that make diagnoses difficult…

On one such occasion C12 froze completely, and what was really odd was that it didn’t show in task manger so I couldn’t even kill the process. Other times my whole system seems to freeze and I can’t even launch the Task Manager. Cubase has been pretty rock sold for me on my i5 PC up until C12.

1 Like

Your problem seems different from mine in that your whole system is freezing. My system has been fine, except for Cubase. Do you have the version of Cubase you had before you upgraded to 12? That way you’d know if 12 is the problem. I had a problem with noise and instability caused by my audio interface which I fixed by replacing the interface. I was very surprised that I still had the freeze problem.

When you kill the Cubase process you now get a pop up when you start up again that suggests

1. Closing all 3rd party vsts, haven’t tried it because everything I do rely on those for everything. It would be nice if support could provide a list of suspect vsts.
  2. Resetting all UI customizations. I’m trying that, so far so good. maybe that’ll fix the freezes.

I think I’ll post again, try to get an explanation for this pop up which I haven’t seen before C12. I used to get paid for designing and debugging big telecom systems. Cubase is similar in complexity, but I don’t have debug tools and 1000 or so hours of experience fixing bugs. I’m in this for the music not the tech. I considered trying another DAW but I’m generally happy with Cubase. I hope the support guys can at least make some things to try.

1 Like

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

When I terminate the Cubase process using Task manager I get a pop up (as described above) during initialization I haven’t seen before Cubase 12. It provides the option of sending a dump file to support. Is this equivalent to what you are suggesting?

Hi,

Yes, just attach the DMP file(s) here, please.

I’ll do that when I get to my studio this afternoon.

Attached is a crash dump from the latest freeze.

Cubase 12.0.0.205 64bit 2022.8.30 10.36.20.675-freezedump.dmp (1.6 MB)

Hi,

Update to the latest Cubase 12.0.40, please.

Roger that.

Exectly the same. Cubase hangs. Repeatedly random freezes. When doing nothing, when doing something. Every day, every hour, randomly. It simply stops and has to be terminated. Since Cubase 12 to 12.0.40. It’s suprise for me it’s not registered as a HUGE problem yet.

Hi,

Attach some freeze/dmp files, please.

I got sidetracked for a couple of weeks because I had to move my studio. In the process of that I discovered that my FirefaceUC was causing my worst problems. Nonetheless with a Focusrite Solo as my audio interface the problem with Cubase freezing remains. The Crashdump associated with it is attached below, so Martin, I hope it casts some light on the issue.

There is a strange thing also happening on my system, not sure if it’s related to the freeze ups: When I reopen the project after it freezes and has been killed in the task manager sometimes it opens in Cubase 10 instead of 12. Cubase 12 is the deault,and the elicenser control says that I have a license for 12, but Cubase fails the license check on start. A system restart is necessary to make it work. Is this related to the freeze or should I post it as a separate issue?

Cubase 12.0.40.317 64bit 2022.9.12 17.03.59.442-freezedump.dmp (1.2 MB)

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Is someone there going to look at the .dmp file it to see what it indicates?

Hi,

The crash is in Cubase. There is nothing, you could do to prevent the crashes. Sorry.

Not even a workaround, something to avoid?

Hey, I’m also having issues with Cubase 12.0.40 freezing a few times a day without the option of retreiving a dmp file from Cubase itself.
I did create a bunch of dmp files from the Task Manager, though.
please help me out 'cause I can barley work properly with all these freezesץ

https://we.tl/t-exhGK05SCS

Hey Martin -

I’m trying to understand what my options are having spent considerable time trying to understand what is going on in hope of a fix. From your last reply it sounds like I can either:

1. Live with things the way they are.
  2. Move to another DAW
    I’m not happy with either one. Since you say with apparent certainty that this is a Cubase problem can you at least explain what is going on? It’s baffling to me that the final answer from Cubase support could be “We see the problem, the problem is ours but we can’t/won’t provide a fix or workaround.”

What is going on here?

Hi,

You can try to reinstall Cubase.

You can try to trash Cubase preferences (even older Cubase version(s), if you have some).
Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Does it help?