Cubase 12 installation error problem

I am having trouble installing Cubase Pro 12 via the Steinberg Download Assistant.

The program says “installer failed due to an unknown error” which I know isn’t helpful. I have tried installing it directly from the download location and poof… it the installer just disappears and doesn’t install anything! I have tried temporally disabling any antivirus software, but it isn’t that. Any ideas?

How do I do a complete Cubase Pro 12 clean install?

Just to add it is the same with Cubase Pro 11 (won’t install). No problem installing and uninstalling Wavelab Pro 11 however

I do seem to be able to install Cubase 12 using the .msi files but not via the Download Assistant or clicking the Setup file in the installer package

Incredibly quiet round here today

This is generally caused by broken Windows Registry keys. Did you run a clean-up app such as CCleaner recently? That might have been it.

These programs usually save a backup of the Registry changes they make. Try restoring it.

And if the keys are gone for good? Surely reinstalling the program is supposed to add them again? Except maybe it doesn’t!

First, please make sure to unzip the installer files and run the Setup.exe as Administrator.

If that doesn’t help, try to use a dedicated uninstaller program such as Advanced Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller. Use them to uninstall all Steinberg applications, and enable the options to remove leftover Registry keys. Start by uninstalling Cubase and see if that’s enough to make the installer work. If not, try also uninstalling the included VST instruments, and so on.

If you have any licenses stored in a Soft-eLicenser, please make sure that it’s registered to your MySteinberg before attempting this.

If this doesn’t work, you could need to perform a clean Windows reinstall.