Cubase 12 keeps crashing in various ways, particularly when launching

I’m at my wits end with Cubase 12 right now. For years I have used previous Cubase version with no major issues. Cubase 12 however keeps crashing on me in all kinds of ways. Sometimes it crashes when closing, regularly it crashes on launching it, recently it started crashing while working on projects as well with no particular pattern emerging. When launching again, it gives me all kinds of vague explanations, usually just “terminated unexpectedly”, once “ntdll.dll” was the problem, once or twice a random plugin. Most of the time it doesn’t even bother creating a dump file, and when it does, it is 0KB. I deinstalled Cubase and deleted all preferences, reinstalled it. Same issue. It’s so unstable it’s basically unusable at this point. I need Cubase for my job and I’m genuinely considering switching to another DAW since I spend more time troubleshooting than actually using it. Below is the only uncorrupted dump file I got since reinstalling.

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated because I’ve got some deadlines coming up and I just don’t have the time to spend days trying to get Cubase to operate normally.

Thanks very much.

My System: Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i5-8400 2.81 GHz, 16GB RAM
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd generation

Cubase 12.0.30.286 64bit 2022.7.28 22.34.32.431.dmp (1.5 MB)

I don’t know how to read these dump files in detail, but the failure in this case looks like Rule Tec EQ1A.vst3

Thanks! Yeah this was one of the few occasions when it told me it was a plugin that caused it (said Rule Tec). Unfortunately it’s always something else - as I said, the other times it didn’t even create a dump file or they are corrupted. :confused:

I’m having the same crash problem when closing Cubase, version 12.0.30. I went back to version 12.0 which seems to be more stable. Maintenance releases need to work fine.

Try adding an exclusion to your Cubase install and projects folders in windows defender or whatever AV you are running. Give that a shot first.

Thanks! Will try that.

Hi, did you ever solve this - I appear to be having the same issue

Looking in Windbg the common theme is ntdlldll NtGetContextThread, although sometimes it will highlight a plugin, but not usually the same one (massive, FM8, Revoicepro, vstconnect, etc…)

which version of cubase? I had the same issues with early versions 12.0.1, 12.0.2, 12.0.3 but the latest versions are stable for me to wit no crashes

Honestly, all of the 12s.

When I used to have 10 never had such issues.

Recently I did full system reinstall, with cubase being number one reinstallaing to see if it would solve the issue - it doesnt seem to have.

I would check with Windows to possibly help with the app crashes.
For ntdll.dll-related errors Microsoft recommends :

1. Running the Windows system file checker
  2. Install the latest Windows updates
  3. Reinstall the dll

To reinstall it try the following:

1. Type cmd in the search box, and then right-click Command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Type this in the command prompt:
  • regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll and press Enter key (this will uninstall the file)
  • regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll and press Enter key (this will reinstall the file).

Yeah I did eventually solve it – I bought a Mac. lol

ohhh :frowning:

:expressionless:

Might have to go back to 10 then…

Hi,

Attach the DMP file, please.

Sorry, should have said - tried, this it didnt work, but thank you

1 Like

I PM’d

1 Like