Cubase 12 on mojave? (installer do version check 10.15.)

Well, I don’t see these sort of steep OS requirements from other DAW software (aside from Logic of course).

1 Like

Steinberg choice homey. Apple is also doing this M1 thing so they have to be compatible with that as well. I don’t blame theme for only covering 2 versions of the OS now. THAT is why I decided to dot he patcher here so I can run Monterey.

Logic, well that’s Apple so they bricked my old MacPro here so… This is ALL on Apple IMO. Apple sucks and I won’t buy another Mac here after 4 of them

Reaper and StudioOne run fine here on old OS versions

I have StudioOne 5.5.1 running on 10.13.6 here on my old MacPro
Reaper runs on anything.

This is very interesting to me-- but I’m a little nervous about taking the jump.

I’ve got an older 5.1 (upgraded processor and all that), and am not tremendously enthusiastic about dumping it in order to run the coming Nuendo 12, as it still works great and building a new system with my present RAM, etc… well, you get the picture.

Before actually diving in-- can you tell me/us how involved the patch process was? Were you operating under any sense of impending danger or disaster (or at least full-reinstallation)?

Chewy

Of course Apple is to blame for it’s annual OS update nonsense but I think Steinberg is a bit lazy here. Ableton, Presonus, Cockos, Bitwig are all supporting 10.14. I personally will not sacrifice a running system with all it’s plugins and apps for a new Cubase version.

2 Likes

Good I did not check this before. Catalina is still updated by Apple. But can confirm, its running fine with latest Catalina 10.15.7., which is still my system to stay, until my main apps will really not run on it anymore.

Hi @Chewy_Papadopoulos

OK so firstly I’m very happy with the MacPro running Catalina, and really glad I took the plunge. Even though I may yet buy a Mac Mini M1, for portability and future proofing reasons. On the Macbook not so positive but read on.

Here is what I did to calm my worries about messing up my system which was running very well. The reason I did the Catalina patch was a/ on my MacBook so I could run Dorico 4 (and by good fortune it seems, C12) and on the studio MacPro 5.1 so that I could run Cubase 12.

I started with the MacBook which was running High Sierra, made a clone of the hard-drive first. Then, following dosdude’s video to the letter I installed to an external drive first, to be sure it would run. It did and so then I installed onto the main SSD drive of the Macbook (Late 2011, 2.8GhZ dual core i7, 8gb ram). At first I was extremely impressed, everything ran very smoothly, apart from a grey background to the menu bar, as the graphics on this model are not metal compatible. However, I discovered that when I ran audio apps, Studio One & Mixbus 32C, I got reduced performance. Crackling audio with anything above a basic few tracks. This didn’t bother me as I don’t use the Macbook for audio so much, maybe a bit of editing. Mostly for Dorico and office stuff. However, it’s interesting to note that Cubase 11, and then this week 12, runs absolutely fine. I haven’t stress tested it but it way outperforms the other DAWs, so at least I do have a DAW on the MB, and I also have a partition I can boot into High Sierra if needs be.

So this made me wary of trying it with the MacPro in the Studio, until I saw the spec needed for C12. The Mac Pro was running Mojave (I’d upgraded the graphics to do that a while back).

So with extreme trepidation and caution I cloned the main drive, took it out, replaced it with the clone, and directly installed Catalina onto that drive (this was non-SSD and in fact had errors on it, it was relegated to a back of a back up for emergencies, so I was quite surprised how well it ran!) Everything ran perfectly, all DAWs etc worked really well, again probably smoother overall. So then I replaced the original SSD and upgraded that. This was the install method where you don’t overwrite all your apps etc, so an upgrade not a clean install.

As far as I can tell now over a week running Catalina, everything is superb. The only question is whether the fact that I cannot see the MIDI Remote tab or see any devices in it for Cubase 12 is down to the Cat patch? But it’s not the end of the world , I’m sure that’ll be fixable, not bothering raising a ticket right now as I’m sure the guys at Steinberg have their hands full, and anyway they may well turn around and say Catalina isn’t supported.

The MacPro specs are:
Mid 2012 - 3.46GhZ, 6 core XEON, 32GB RAM, Radion 560 4GB
I’d say so long as you make a really solid back-up before you patch, go for it. If I’m unable to afford a new Mini M1 at least I’ve got the Pro running everything I need for now. Audio wise I use Metric Halo 3D in the studio and Audient ID14 in the writing room (sharing the same Mac via CAT5 converter cables USB and DVI so I can work without putting the heating on in the control room). Both systems run as they should.

Hope this helps, we can’t all afford to rush out and buy a new Mac every few years! I’m still using an iPhone 7…

2 Likes

Doctor, you’re a brave man,.

Thank you for your seriously thoughtful, practical and reassuring reply.

Looks like we’re on the same basic page here, with me a little behind you in the tech specs department— my 5,1 MacPro is built on a 2008 model upgraded to the same specs as yours (but 64gb), and my laptop’s a late 2011 17”, same basic juice but with 16gb.

I’ve been banging my head against the wall trying to get Bootcamp to install anything on the laptop in hopes of being able to upgrade to Windows 10, but having replaced my CD drive with another SSD, getting it to do what it’s supposed to has been a real challenge. I need an IT person or a child to work that one out. But actually getting Catalina on either or both of these machines would be far preferable.

Knowing that Cubase 12 is working on your rigs is making me want to give it a shot! Aside from Cubase/Nuendo, my main concern would be if iZotopeRX works well with the update. As it stands, I can’t run RX9 nor the latest update of Nuendo on the laptop, which (as you know) officially peaked out on High Sierra… hence the explorations into potential Windows-land.

Thanks again. And I’ll be watching (and maybe contributing, if all goes well) for updates and perspectives.

Chewy

Just a quick note on the Windows thing - before I found the patcher I did try installing Win 10 using Parallels on the Macbook which I’ve owned for a while, (cos of course Dorico 4 would work with that) but it was an absolute disaster - really sluggish and unusable. So I’d suggest not bothering with Windows and going for Catalina, just back up big time! Put aside a good afternoon for it, don’t rush it.
PS make sure you have a Metal capable graphic card in the Mac Pro, I think that’s key.

1 Like

Again, it looks like you’re ahead of me on the same basic path. I also have tried Parallels on the laptop, with the same laggy, disappointing results. I’ve read some stuff about using Parallels to help facilitate a Bootcamp installation, but I’ve just about had it with trying to get it going-- so giving up on that path is an easy option based on your experience. Am a little concerned about the graphics on the laptop, but we’ll see. Got the Metal graphics card (a Radeon HD 7950) when updating to Mojave…

Chewy

Does this mean Cubase 12 works on Mojave? anyone who can confirm? Sorry, I am extremely behind.

Mojave 10.14.5, Mac Mini Intel Chip model latest
Cubase 11, 10, 8 working fine but, do I need to upgrade at least to Catalina…?
I really want to stay on Mojave as long as I could…

1 Like

Same situation here. I’ll wait for the test/demo version and try to install it on Mojave.

1 Like

I feel the same. Steinberg must think about it
95% of Mac musicians, producers and engineers that i know work with mojave o earlier operative systems

2 Likes

I write here to ask, because even for previous versions, Cubase 8, 10? officially they said, it would not work on ‘mojave’ but it is working on mine…(?) so yeah… haha I really really hope 12 just work even ‘unofficially’… :slight_smile:

You were not kidding. And I didn’t rush it… and now I’ve got Catalina running on my 8,3 17". Never thought that would/could happen. Now happily residing on what was going to be a BootCamp drive, and Nuendo 11 with all the trimmings seems to be working fine. We’ll see about 12 when it comes out!

Thanks, Dr. Scardo.

Chewy

1 Like

Actually really bummed out about this. Usual case here, cubase user from sx1, religiously updating and did the same with C12 when it was released, excited to see the new features and get stuck in. Nothing clearly stated it would absolutely not install on Mojave, vaguely stating BigSur/Monterey are officially supported is grey af. I took the plunge and upped my macbook pro to Catalina but even with C12 it has been a disaster as so many plugins will just not work on the OS or in C12 itself.

My main studio Mac Pro will not be getting updated to 10.15 as I do not want to lose a lot of vital plugins and legacy gear I have collected over the years (access virus ti, TC Powercore, NI & UAD are standout’s here), PLUS with so much other stuff I can’t even load in C12. Sorry Steinberg, you have really dropped the ball here in favour of ‘the future’ without even bothering to consider many users cannot and will not update OS’s, sacraficing gear we have paid £1000’s for, just for a few fancy new stock plugins.

So so disappointed, honestly feeling like I have just given Steinberg £85 for absolutely no reason, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

4 Likes

Cubase 12 will not install on Mojave - you get an error.

Cubase 12 will install on Catalina, but this is untested and unsupported.

The official system requirements (scroll down to and expand “System Requirements”) for Cubase 12 are Big Sur or Monterey.

1 Like

They will have to say goodbye to many old customers when they build the final x86-64 version for Mac.

Maybe in the end Apple will have to say goodbye to me as an old customer. Updating to Big Sur or Monterey would cause too many problems on my setup. For the moment I will stay with Mojave and Cubase 11 and wait what’s gonna happen during this year.

I think Microsoft is a lot better to handle compatibility over time. However I think the Arm processor is so much more energy efficient that Arm will also be Microsofts base for their windows. (And they have been using Arm for more than 10 years so they are ready)

I’m running Cubase 12 on Catalina 10.15.7 version. If your machine will run 10.14 it should run 10.15. I did a fresh install and went through the trouble of installing all of the software again but it’s clean and it works. I’ve not found any plug-in that ran in 10.14 and will not run in 10.15. I’ll most likely buy a new M1 Mac later this year. Just not everything is supported yet.

2 Likes