Cubase 12 on Windows hangs/freezes on startup and exit

agree with above, this is such a downer and motivation killer. And lost time = lost money for some, including myself.

Cubase is not the cheapest DAW going around either. Want to do work but instead am constantly dealing with freezes/crashes with no obvious reason.

Have to restart my computer just to get Cubase to start normally again. This is bs, franky.

Windows 10, Cubase Pro 12.0.51.

1 Like

Ok, the sfc /scannow didn’t do anything for me but I deactivated any other sound devices in the device manager and all sound drivers other than the one for Steinberg UR22C and et voila it now starts without freezing! So that’s progress!
However if I open a project work a bit, close the project wait a bit and then close the app it still freezes and unfortunately is not creating in dump file.
If I open the app without opening a project and close it immediatly it closes properly. No idea what that could be.

1 Like

Most often it is a 3rd party plugin that acts up. Not always, but often.
You can try and run Cubase in Safe Mode to see if still crashes/freezes. If it doesn’t, I would start looking at your 3rd party plugins.

I will try that thanks

Works fine in safe mode. Is there any way or process you can suggest for singling out that one 3rd party plugin that causes trouble?

That’s good news, Peter.
Unfortunately I don’t know any other way than to tediously disable a chunk of plugins, test, re-enable some, test, repeat…
If you can think of any you recently installed or updated I would start with those.

Yeah that’s the thing. It was Black Friday … it’s a lot.
Thanks for your help everyone!

Hi,

There are several options to do in the Safe Start Dialog. What exactly did you choose?

Deactivate all third party plug-ins.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Not sure why you asked in the first place but my problem was solved by mlindeb already - at least the worst part. The problem I still have doesn’t create any dump files so that’s no help since it’s most certainly a 3rd party plugin causing the freeze when closing Cubase.

Hi,

We would see, which plug-in is crashing in the DMP file.

Yes, but the freeze when closing the app doesn’t create any dump file.

I got the same issues cant even get this program to work. Locks up on exit most of the time.
tried to set a few things up initially and getting nowhere. Sound is horrible most of the sound I got to work at one point is simply distorted as heck even from the program itself when you activate the metronome that sound is distorted. Uninstalled and removed with Revo uninstaller cleaned up registry. Rebooted did a clean install with all default paths because Cubase also does not like you to install anything to the D drive to get to work. So everything default to the C drive tried very basic setup and then when launched the sound not only does not work, my sound does not work for any other open apps including the OS itself. Using the generic low latency ASIO driver with realtek audio. How do I get a refund? I have a Alesis v25 I am unable to use.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi and welcome to the foru,

Provide the DMP file, please.

Try to increase your Audio Device Buffer Size, please. If there is no ASIO driver, try to use ASIO4ALL, please.

Cubase application requires the installation to the C drive. All libraries could be installed to any other drive.

Try to use other driver, please provide the screenshots of your setup.

Do you mean while using Cubase, or when Cubase is down?

open up Cubase … have groove SE instrument set had sound for about one second literally. Hit my C1 on the Midi and the whole thing locked up.
Go to task manager (Cubase 12 Not Responding)
force kill the process.
Crashdump file created but has 0 data

I am now removing my D drive path from a couple VST plug-ins I have installed where I had Xpand mapped and installed.
Seems as soon as I removed this D drive plugin mapping to Xpandi and MPC BEAT it appears to be behaving nicer.
Would really be nice to install things on my D drive and work in 2023.

Hi,

First of all make sure, your Groove Agent is up to date, please.

Try to use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

its all up to date I just bought Cubase a couple days after this Christmas.