Cubase 12 Pro hanging on startup - have to delete prefs

Trailing Cubase Pro on Win10 and roughly every second time I start it up it hangs on the splash screen, I have to cancel it in task manager and next time choose to delete all prefs to get it to run again. Runs fine after that, will close it when finished and then a couple of starts later same thing, have to delete the prefs and start again. Anyone else having similar issues…? Thansk

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Thanks Martin, I’ll do it next time I’ve got it running.

Same problem with Cubase Elements 12. I recorded two crash dumps, zipped them, and put them on dropbox. Will send the dropbox link on request.

No need to wait for a request, it was requested:

This board won’t allow me to include links in my post

I don’t use dropbox specifically, but those services usually have an option for something like “anyone who has the link”

Using Windows 11 Pro, Cubase Elements 12 Version 12.0.20 Build 263 Built April 22, 2022

Crashes unrepeatedly on closing and have to take program defaults on next start.

Spam prevention measure filters new users. Try now, I raised your Trust Level

First crash dump:

Second crash dump:

Thank you, that worked

1 Like

Another closing crash dump:

I switched over to the Mackie ASIO driver and things seem to have improved. I’m using a Mackie ProFX10V3 USB mixer.

Hi,

I’m wondering, you wrote you are using Cubase Pro Trial, but the DMP files come from Cubase LE AI Elements…

Hi Martin, I started the thread, and am using 12Pro trial, but those aren’t my files, they are from Jenn.
Sorry, I’m flat out mixing at the moment so haven’t had time to even open Cubase up again since I posted…maybe this weekend…

Hi,

Oh, sorry @aevans and thank you for the clarification.

@Jenn_Jacobsen, I have reported your crash to Steinberg. Thank you.

HI Martin, had a play with it this morning, and not having much luck reproducing the issue. On first startup it hung at checking license, I cancelled with task manager, then restarted and the options came up to reset preferences or continue etc. I told it to continue with the existing prefs and it started and ran fine. I am getting exceptions as you’ll see in the dmp file, they occur when ever I open a menu such as file…project etc, and also happen as I pass over the commands listed in the sub menu. I’ve attached a dmp file link from Procdump, but as I say the problem seems to be not happening today…
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kTZKLF34BH81uKMymET0exmwSiiu7V2R/view?usp=sharing

thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t see Cubase or any plug-in mentioned in the DMP file:

ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0x14
MpDetoursCopyAccelerator+0x2650
ntdll!RtlAcquireSRWLockExclusive+0x1cd
ntdll!RtlpFlsFree+0x9e
KERNELBASE!FlsFree+0xb
igdml64+0x35f484

Oh well, I’ll just persist and see if it happens again. The problem occurs when opening Cubase mainly. I’ll see how it goes. Thanks for looking

You’re welcome.