Cubase 12 Pro still crashing on exit

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo11

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

So far so good, no crashes whatsoever! Thanks!!

Hi,

Both crashes are in the Surge_XT. Probably a plug-in. Please make sure the plug-in is up to date and get in contact with the plug-in vendor.

Oh, great info! Thanks!

I also get the same type of crashes in projects that don’t use Surge. What is the best way to find out which VST that’s the culprit there?

Hi,

There are some tools to read the basics of the DMP files. It has been discussed on the forum few times already. Please, search for the relevant threads.

You need to install the “Debugging tools for Windows” from Microsoft and then you can use “WinDbg” to open the crash dump and analyze it like I described here:

Beware: it is a bit nerdy :wink:

Perfect. I’ll try that!!

Thank you so much - I have very long projects and this works great. I first save then close my project and then use the command in question to quit Cubase 12 Pro.

Lys K

1 Like

Still have the issue on the .20 update fairly often here and when restarting I don’t always get an option to report the previous crash. I may misunderstand something about the crash report mechanism though.

Also had a 3-4 times (so less frequent) the dialog box alert saying that something unexpected happened i should do a backup and that the instance may be instable.

I hope they fix hangs/crashes on exit soon that soon, don’t want to go back to 11 , love using C12 so much.

1 Like

Hi,

Attach the *.dmp files, please.

Same here.

There are no dmp files generated and missing the option to report the issue as well.

1 Like

Hi,

Are you on Mac or Windows?

You can attach the files here.

Hey Martin,
Cubase is still crashing on exit here as well.
Windows, Cubase 12.0.20

No dmp files are created.
I just notice it, because Cubase starts up with the info it crashed before.

PS:
Your suggestion with Prodump64 is does not work, as plugins from Softube, Slate Digital, Kush, JST, Neural DSP, Soothe, Kilohearts, etc. all don’t work with debuggers in the background. A lot of error messages immediately appear, and it loads your projects without all those plugins.

Hi,

Do you have all plug-ins up to date, please? Isn’t one of the plug-in the bad boy then?

I’m running Cubase Pro 12 version 12.0.20. Intermittently Cubase is hanging on Quit, and has to be ended in Task Manager. I’m working on what is so far a simple project, with a Groove Agent SE part, a Trilian (made by Spectrasonics) part, and one audio track. Having saved the project, it doesn’t seem to matter whether I close the project then quit, or quit without closing, the hang can occur; but not every time. When I restart Cubase I’m invited to send logs to Steinberg, which I’ve done. The issue did not happen with Cubase 11 or earlier versions. My set up is as follows:
Cubase Pro 12 version12.0.20.263
Groove Agent SE5 version 5.10.152 (64 bit)
Trilian version 1.6.2d (which is the latest version)
Audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd generation. Buffer size 512.
Windows PC running Windows 10 Home 21H2 64 bit, with 16 GB RAM
CPU is Intel Core i5-4590 3.30 Ghz. Here’s the latest crash dump:
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.5.12 16.49.12.845-freezedump.dmp (1.2 MB)

All plugins up to date and no other problems when running the sessions.
Also, I kind of find it bad practice to repeatedly blame 3rd party apps when they crash your host, instead of making sure this does not happen by i.e. sandboxing, or by ensuring there are always messages where the problem came from.
There will always be some bad coded plugins, so you gotta make sure your part is gonna work, 'cause everything else is out of your control anyway. I’d not want to let some sloppy 3rd party apps ruin the reputation and stability of the program I wrote.

The support staff and also you guys would save so much time troubleshooting if Cubase could do this automatically. Let alone how all the rants about “cubase crashing” would vanish instantly.

As a developer by catching exceptions in the code you make sure your program runs, no matter what. Thats part of your job, and it is necessary for a professional editing program. Its also not the job of your customers to troubleshoot obvious bugs.

Cubase is on its way to get the perfect DAW, but to achieve that, there must be a solution for these unpredictable crashes caused by plugins.

Hi,

This specific crash comes from Groove Agent. Please make sure you have the latest update installed.

Could you attach more DMP files, please?

On Windows 10 64bit, latest updates installed.

Sorry, no files generated

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi. I misstated my version of Groove Agent SE5 above, it’s actually 5.1.0.152 (64 bit). Steinberg Download Assistant seems to be saying this IS the latest version.
At an earlier stage of the project, when Trilian was not loaded but Groove Agent SE was, I was occasionally getting a message from Cubase saying I needed to Save As… because the program had encountered a serious problem. Those messages stopped when I replaced a crash cymbal sample I had imported from Cubase’s media library into GA SE5 with a different one. Here are some other crash dump files, all from Cubase 12.0.20 and all from the same project:
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.5.12 16.49.12.845-freezedump.dmp (1.2 MB)
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.5.10 17.06.29.669-freezedump.dmp (1.2 MB)
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.4.30 15.15.12.413.dmp (957.5 KB)

1 Like