Cubase 12 prone to crashing on load and when left idle

Long time Cubase user here (since version 3). The software has gone through phases of stability from version to version. 10 was probably the most stable. 11 slightly less so. 12 has regressed quite a bit. When I leave sessions open (and leave the studio for a couple hours), I often come back and find the program quit. Reopening the program and attempting to load new sessions sometimes causes the program to hang. It’s usually best to just reboot. Not sure what the issue is. Just wanted to post this and see if others having similar issues.

Do you know what your power settings are, and have taken them into account? OS?

Maybe add your system info to your profile so respondents do not have to ask each time.

I just added it, thanks. Here it is tho:

Windows 10
Gigabyte Z390
Intel Core i9-9900k 3.6 GHz (8 core)
32 GB RAM
UAD Apollo x8
RME Fireface UFX

?

High performance; never sleep.

Not Steinberg Power Scheme?

Crash logs?

It sounds like power setting to me…

This is the power settings I’m talking about:

And double check that USB settings are not set to allow sleep, in the same Power Options.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issues with crashing on load. It’s NOT a power setting as C11 is fine.
when it does crash you can’t kill it fully from the TM either, you have to re boot. It looks at first as though it’s been killed but it’s still there down in the list and trying to kill there gives a permissions error.

I’m back on C11 now for clients…

M

4 Likes

This guy gets it.

I have the same problem. Most of the time, I get a crash message saying it was caused by Freeze.
I have never had to use the Freeze function, ever – my PC is fairly souped-up, so it’s never been a necessity. That’s what baffles me. I just tell Cubase to load everything as usual, and life proceeds uninterrupted.
If this is the only thing I have to worry about, it’s no big deal. But there are times when it’s simply annoying. Hopefully an update will take care of this in the near future.
Otherwise, I enjoy Cubase 12 Pro – Considering I have used Cubase since the 3.7 VST version (circa 1999), with the exception of a brief burp now and then, it has served me well!

1 Like