Cubase 12 runs natively on Apple M1 (but not really)

Finally able to upgrade to Cubase 12. I was really excited to test it running Natively in my Apple M1 Pro only to discover that it is only Cubase 12 that can run natively - not any of the stock VST’s that come with Cubase (I’m looking at Halion Sonic SE and Groove Agent here)!

So, I can run Cubase natively on my system but I can’t program a drum track or some orchestration (using the stock VST’s that come with the software)?! I have to run using Rosetta? This makes no sense! I understand TP VST’s/Plug-Ins are a separate issue but surely the stock VST’s that come with the software should also be able to run natively? It’s not as though they are a paid-for add-ons (though I did pay for Groove Agent 5 full version and Symphonic Orchestra).

I use Groove Agent and Halion (Symphonic Orchestra) on most projects so I’m essentially still running Cubase using Rosetta until these VST’s have been upgraded!

That’s not supposed to be happening. Cubase 12 M1 native runs its own plugins in M1 native mode just fine for me.

Thanks @snplmn .

When I run CB 12 natively it produces a large error report showing all of the plug-ins that have an ‘incorrect architecture’ (I.e are Intel 64bit and not M1) and , amongst this list are Groove Agent and Halion Sonic SE.

@Ed_Doll confirmed to me last week that this is as they expected and that only base Cubase (just the main software) can run natively at present.

Are you confirming that GA or HS run natively for you in CB on an Apple M1 device?

@Brianm10 Are you running Halion Sonic SE 3.5.10?

Yes I can confirm Cubase 12 runs in Apple mode with GA and Halion Sonic SE both loaded up.

Thanks @snplmn

Hi @steve .

I had downloaded HS SE 3.5.0 from the Cubase 12 area of the download manager. That seams to have only installed version 3.3.0.66! However, i have now followed the route in your screenshot and installed it from there and it now works (though, the stand-alone app still seems to show the 3.3.0.66 version?

My next question is for Groove Agent. The SE version (after uninstallinng and reinstalling) seems to work ok but Groove Agent 5 (full version) does not - is this M1 compatible natively?

Finally, can i assume that The Grand is not compatible? Having checked it still appears to not work?

Thanks

3.3.0.66 is the number of the stand-alone version, 3.5.10 of the plugin.

Thanks @Phillipus

@steve - any news on GA (full) and The Grand? Thanks

I would not know.

Groove agent 5 and Halton 6 are not M1 native yet. Only the SE versions with Cubase have been converted to my knowledge.

1 Like

Ok, thanks @RTT1

1 Like

Sorry @steve I thought you worked for Steinberg as I had seen you helping loads of users during the Cubase 12 upgrade issues.

Thanks again for your help with HS SE!

1 Like

Thanks Brianm10 for following the case.

I am a PC user just about to buy Mac Studio Ultra but there aren’t any youtube tutorials on them with cubase 10.5., even with you cubase 12 should I opt to upgrade CB.

I am considering buying Logic instead and learn how to use it instead of beginning GA tutorials on MAc Studio. Saves me CB upgrade and purchase of HS and GA. I’ll just forget about Cubase and hope the yamaha interface UR242 works.

Thanks everyone.

YouTube tutorials on what? What are you asking or talking about?

Both Halion Sonic SE 3 and Groove Agent SE 5 (which come for free with Cubase) support Apple M1. You just have to download the latest versions from the Steinberg Download Assistant.

Not sure about the question on YouTube tutorials but my original query was relating to Full GA 5 and The Grand (both of which I purchased some time ago). Give they are Steinberg Cubase VST’s, I had thought that they would also run natively, particularly GA as the SE version runs natively, why not the full version?

Anyway, I’m still waiting on this and have been unable to run CB12 natively on my machine as I use GA on most projects but have to use SE only (or run with Rosetta).