Cubase 12 -Time Warp Workflow for Customizing the Grid

After a MIDI recording I would like to prevent the recording as it ist and customize the GRID to it. I found a bit on the Time Warp Tool, which is great !!
My main questions at the moment:

• Is it wise to choose the linear mode on the Instrument Track holding the Piano Event while adjusting the grid to the MIDI Note Events of the clip? I would like to keep it perfectly in the first take recording´s timing state…
  • Should I use the Key Editor instead the lower editor zone for operating the Time Warp Tool, Does it make a difference?

THX
Best
BX

If you’re referring to the clock icon in the track control display, please note that is called Linear Time Base. Cubase does not have anything called linear mode (it does have musical mode, but that’s a different story).

I frequently adjust the grid to my MIDI piano, and I do it in Musical Time Base (quarter note icon), not
Linear Time Base (clock icon). I’ve tried it the other way in the past and haven’t been happy, I suspect it’s because the starts off each event wandered off their bar/beat, but I can’t exactly remember …).

(And for the selection “arrow” tool, I use the “Musical events follow” option).

The vid linked to below reflects my workflow pretty much, you may find it helpful.

1 Like

Dom´s very good video shows audio, where the mid parts would follow the edits, as far as I can understand it.

I have a MIDI PNO recorded, which should not be altered in the timing. It moves when choosing the musical events follow option in the Time Warp Tool´s pop up menu (the second entry).

So, are there no differences in treating the MIDI material when it comes to adjust the Grid to a MIDI recording chosing clock symbol or quarter note symbol?
Maybe to understand the linear time base and musical time base better, there must be pros and cons for choosing either of these also on a MIDI Track:

Here is my experience so far:
I would see a chance in using the linear time base to prevent the MIDI piano track from any manipulation, whereas other MIDI parts are moved, when already arranged, which is nice handling human timing in a larger project.
If you have a MIDI Piano track alone and it is not important to care for other tracks, the musical time base can be activated using the Time warp option (the first one in the pop up menu), of course.

So I would rather see the linear time base option ON the MIDI PNO track as a chance to completely disconnect it it to any kind of unintended timing changes, when working with the time warp tool adjusting the Grid to it as the safest setting for this purpose.

Please let me know the hidden dangers and errors here.

THX
Best
BX

This explains how Timebase & Mode interact. Keep in mind that Mode only applies to Audio not MIDI. MIDI Parts always behave like Audio set to Musical Mode - meaning it will stretch/shrink as the Tempo changes.

I’m not at Cubase to check, but maybe Locking or Freezing the Track will prevent the MIDI from changing. Another approach would be to use Render In Place (or Export) to covert the MIDI to Audio and disable Musical Mode on it so the Audio doesn’t stretch with the tempo.

1 Like

Freezing an entire track is a good hint. Will also try to apply a lock to the particular MIDI event, which should be able to do in a DAW. After time warping the grid, it is clear to me that changes in the tempotrack affect the MIDI event, of course. I would not touch it after warping the track, though. But freezing the final stage might be a good trick also I am afraid that you can´t work on that track any more then.
A (MIDI!) piano improvisation fits a Film nicely here. The Grid has to be assigned now for the conductors score. I heard this is possible best in Cubase, figuring it out now…
THX so much

Best
BX