Cubase 12 unable to load beyond VST 2.x Plug-in Manager

Since about a week now I can’t open Cubase 12 anymore because it does not respond when reaching “VST 2.x Plug-in Manager” every time I open it. I’ve checked older forum posts and the only one I managed to open it was my deleting my program references and disabling third-party plugins.

Here’s the last DMP file it generated before I updated it. I still can’t open it but it doesn’t generate a DMP file.

Cubase 12.0.40.317 64bit 2023.5.28 0.05.05.499.dmp (537.7 KB)

Thank you for your help!

Didn’t check the crash dump, but did you already try to start Cubase in safe mode?

If it starts without issues now, the issue might be a VST 2 plugin causing your error. In this case, I’d check all proper VST 2 locations:
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
32-bit plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins
Plus any custom paths you defined.

You can rename the plugins from .dll to something like .dll.backup to render them unusable or simply drop them somewhere else temporarily. Then add one by one and start Cubase normally (no safe mode), until you find the one which causes Cubase to freeze upon the splash screen.

My installation starts fine off an M.2-SSD, but it also takes about 15 seconds or so when it scabs the VST 2 plugins (I guess it’ some of my Arturia stuff causes this; dunno what’s still using VST 2 here), but everything inside Cubase runs fine after initial loading procedzre.

I did try starting it on Safe Mode and sadly it didn’t help. Even deleting all the preferences didn’t make it open…

Hi,

Update Cubase to the latest 12.0.60, please. Also make sure all your plug-ins are up to date.

I think I wasn’t clear in my initial message, but I update Cubase from 12.0.40 to 12.0.60 before writing this post. However it didn’t make any other DMP files since even though I couldn’t open Cubase 12.0.60 properly, hence why I posted the last DMP in 12.0.40.

I’ll try checking every single plug-ins tonight to make sure they are all updated nonetheless.

Hi,

The DMP file point to MPE device. Do you have any?

Could you try to rename all Cubase version preferences folders, please? Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Could you try to reinstall Cubase as administrator, please?

Hi Martin,

I did try reinstalling Cubase 12 as admin and it didn’t seem to have changed the situation. In a similar fashion, I do have a MPE device (external MIDI keyboard), but even when turned off it doesn’t open…

As for renaming the Cubase files, I’m not sure I fully understand what you want me to rename them to?

Thank you

Martin is suggesting that you rename the above folder. You can rename the folder anything you want. The idea is that next time you start Cubase, the program will recreate these folder with new, default preferences. This is to rule out any corruption in the preferences. And since you didn’t delete the folder, you can always revert by renaming it back to its original name.
Personally, I just add “_OLD” to the end of the folder name. Makes it easy to identify.

2 Likes

Alright I managed to open Cubase 12 by renaming the old files. However, not I lost all my old preferences and have to rescan all my VSTs. Wouldn’t that retrigger the old problem?