Cubase 12 Upgrade ASIO-Guard Issue

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, as I haven’t updated to Cubase 12 yet, but it may be of help. Those of you who are on Windows, have you tried reinstalling the Visual C++ x64 packages? I’m suggesting this as I had a quite weird graphical issue some weeks ago with Cubase Pro 11.0.41 when, from one day to another and without having modified my Cubase installation, projects started opening with a kind of Windows 7-style buttons superimposed over the standard Windows 10 buttons. Really, really weird.
After scratching my head for a couple of days, I concluded that the only possible thing that had changed over that period of time was some plugins updates (Waves, Native Instruments, iLok…), which incidentally also updated the Visual C++ libraries they needed to work. So, as a last resort, I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the latest Visual C++ x64 redistributables. And that worked: reinstalling the Visual C++ 2013 x64 package did the trick and solved the problem immediately.
Maybe the library got corrupted somehow and the reinstall refreshed it? Maybe one of the plugins installed an outdated version of the package that made Cubase misbehaving? I don’t really know. But I guess it could be something to try, especially for those of you that experience a performance degradation in Cubase 11 after installing the Cubase 12 update, which may suggest that some third-party driver or external library is affecting both versions.

4 Likes