Cubase 12 Upgrade ASIO-Guard Issue

Forgot to add my pc specs:

Windows 10 pro (21H2)
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2687W v4 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz (2 processors)
128gb Ram

Also having ASIO-Guard issues which have never been issues.
I haven’t done any troubleshooting as yet but a project I was working on in cubase 11 (macos) is now unplayable with same setting on cubase 12.

3 Likes

Same here,

The load shows a lot of spikes and a C11 projects cause overload in C12.
C12Pro on Win10Pro with i7 8700K/4GHz and 32GB RAM here. Audiointerface is a Steinberg UR824.

br
Werner

Thank you both for your reply and confirmation!

If we all are having similar experience, I’m assuming many others will too. This seems to me like a big issue, let’s see if there will be some kind of fix very soon. In the meantime, it’s good to know it is not just my system having the problem!

3 Likes

I’m having similar issues on an iMac Pro running the latest version of BigSur. Random spikes even in empty projects. The frequency of the spikes increase if I load instruments like Kontakt, Omnisphere, Halion, etc. C11 projects that ran without issue now have issues. I can’t export mixdowns because the export stops because of CPU overloads.

This didn’t happen before and the projects are tiny (a very few VSTs, one or two effects, no fancy routing).

Specs:

CPro 12, iMacPro 10 core, BigSur, 64gb ram, MOTU 16a and 828mk3 interfaces, Asio guard set to med, preload at 4 sec, 512 buffer size

Thanks for everyone’s input and confirmation!

Maybe now that everyone is beginning to test out CB12 on their systems, more will experience similar issues and draw some attention to this problem.

I did the most basic test, empty project with 3x Kontakt6 instruments, no routing. When switching between instruments I got a click/pop with ASIO-Guard set to LOW and Normal. With ASIO-Guard set to High the pops went away. For me, this is a new behavior/problem I did not have in CB11.

1 Like

I’m getting the same issue. Random pops and clicks but more when I am collapsing folders, opening new windows. Any GUI change seems to do it for me even with an empty template.

Maybe I’ll mention it to Greg tomorrow on the live stream.

Win10Pro
Ryzen 9
128 Gig RAM

1 Like

yep same here in on win 10…my mate is on win 11 hes got same issue too he just called me up

I upgraded last night and opened a couple of C11 projects in C12 that use 10-14 tracks of Falcon, Omnisphere, Hive and Dune 3 and didn’t notice any pops or clicks with ASIO-Guard set to normal.

Win 11
Intel i7-12700KF
64 Gig Ram
Maschine MK3 as my audio interface

Thanks everyone for keeping the thread going! Yes, please mention to Greg if you have the opportunity!!

Interesting to hear Hekker70 you do not experience any click/pops, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I wonder if it is related to the type of instrument? I’ll dig a little deeper into that, and see if it’s related to the issue I’m having. For now, I have discovered, simply arming/disarming a track gives me a pop (unless AG is set to High).

I’ll try and load what you are and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

There’s enough of us sharing the same experience/issue, which leads me to believe this is not random or unique to my setup.

To recreate on my end - create a new empty project, load 2-3 Kontakt instruments, switch between the tracks (or arm/disarm). I get pops, unless AG is set to High.

Same here : glitches when selecting certain tracks (and it’s definitely not happening on CubPro11)
Win 10 / i9-9900k / 32 Gb

Thanks leonardm for your reply!

Hopefully if everyone continues to share their experiences this issue will get some attention.

Same for me! Record enabling any vst starts white noise and glitching, as does inputting MIDI from any controller. The only way to make it stop is to deselect multi processing/Asio guard in studio set up. Then the meter goes crazy on medium sized projects however. Cubase 11 has never done this.
Windows 10, RME Fireface 802

Same issue here with projects created with Cub11 !
Tested with a project containing audio tracks, fx tracks, and grp tracks only.
I also noticed other issues : disk cache & asio guard is having peaks if i apply some clip gain on clips. This also happens if i simply activate loop play (even if the playback is paused!).

I made these tests with my laptop (Win 10, i7-6700HQ, 8gb RAM), which is not my main workstation, but i’m not having these issues with the same projects on Cub11.
I’ll try it on my main computer, i’ll update my review by then.

1 Like

Thank you planetsundaystudios and susielu for sharing your experiences and adding your voices to the discussion.

After a few days of troubleshooting, I am beginning to believe this issue is not caused by user errors. Although many of us have varied experiences, we’re all having the same dropout/glitch/pop/click problem. Must be an issue with CB12 itself. Hopefully if people continue to share their experiences someone at Steinberg will take notice. Fingers crossed!

I am experiencing the same thing. It seems very apparent with Kontact plugins, but even with all of them disabled I am still get CPU overloads, and obvious audio glitches.

Specs:
Windows 10
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz|
|Installed RAM|64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)|

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2/‎2/‎2021
OS build 19043.1526
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Similar here. Have a proj with about 30 instruments, kontakt, halion, others. Plays great. Made a template from that proj after emptying the pool and deleting all clips.
Created a new file from the template, dragged only audio files in, asioguard goes crazy, meters are popping but no audio coming out. Try to change asioguard to high, cubase crashes.

Open the old proj, still plays back fine with lots of instruments. Load the new file, same symptoms.

I turned off ASIO Guard then I used safe start mode (ctrl+alt+shift) + delete program preferences.
No more glitches, even with older projects.
I need now to try with ASIO Guard turned on again, I’ll tell you later.

1 Like