Cubase 12 Upgrade ASIO-Guard Issue

That seems to be exactely my case. Great to hear you found the reason and are working on it. Thanks a lot guys!

Thatā€™s interesting. Thanks for the update Chriss.

We received mainly reports from i7, 8th and older. But there are also reports with latest Alder Lake architecture and RYZEN systems. So donā€™t nail me, please :slight_smile: .

Great to know thanks.

I had crashes in C11 Pro ruining ARA 2 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 on W10, Intel i7 processor. Iā€™ll check to see which one, and get back.

Thank you!

Thanks. But to be clear: itā€™s still something we have to fix, I donā€™t blame it on intel :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 cpu rig and I am having this same problem, as well as an associate of mine on his AMD rig, so itā€™s not just Intel by any means. And being that I need to track at low buffer settings, setting the buffers high isnā€™t an option, so I have to track in Cubase 11 and open the project in 12. Hoping for a fix soon, and thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I have the issue with a 9th Gen i9 on a Mac so ā€¦

I have the same issue with a 16" Intel MacBook Pro, HEAVY CPU spiking in Cubase 12 on simple projects. Open Vari-Audio to analyze track and the CPU hits the roof and stutters out.
Perfect performance in Cubase 11 on the same project.
Definitely something broken in version 12 and basically unusable in a production environment until this is addressed.

The more we work with this, the more it feels like a headroom issue. If the project has a lot going on ( tracks, VSTiā€™s ect ) and is close to the 55-65% meter position, it doesnā€™t seem take much at all to push the CPU and then the meter will simply run away like a car radiator overheating. This is not a gradual process. It seems that once that ā€˜thresholdā€™ is passed, its a runaway process that pegs the meter within seconds.

5 Likes

Same with both wave and opsix.

1 Like

Now that I have had more hands on time with CB 12 I loaded a session and the spikes are through the roof without hitting PLAY using 12900k WIN 11 64G DDR5, opening the same project in CB 11 and everything is fine again. I can make a video of this if needed, there is something very wrong with CB 12, hope they can fix it. SIDE NOTE: another user with the same CPU suggested disabling C-STATES in the Bios to help which I have now done but not loaded a session up to test.

UPDATE: I have just moments ago loaded the same session now with C-STATE disabled and the spikes have stopped

2 Likes

I confirm Cubase 12 performance is much lower than Cubase 11.
Some vst instruments or effects put the asio-guard load to almost 40% (with only one track in the project !) where it used to increase by just a few pixels in Cubase 11.

3 Likes

Try different plugins just to be safe. Not sure about the Wavestate but the Opsix was released with pretty terrible CPU optimization as it is (at least on the Mac side of things). That one is brick walling every DAW until Korg gets it togetherā€¦

@Chriss - FWIW, hereā€™s mine: Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz

Thank you!

1 Like

Same problems here. Tried all suggestions above. Windows 10 full up to date i7 32gb ram. With only one track open getting clips. No problems in cb11.

Also weirdly loaded cb 12 pro onto an old laptop from 2006 dell inspiron 1525 with only 4gb ram works perfectly no spikes ? Had the 79 track demos working perfectly.

Editā€¦disabling c states in bios definitely helped, but still getting massive spikes that were not in version 11 on same songs.

2 Likes

Hi Chriss,
Thank you again for your continued assistance. Your help here sorting and working through the issues has been invaluable! Also, a big thank you to all the users for continuing to share their experiences in a constructive, informative manner!

Iā€™ve had an opportunity to run some tests based on the information you provided (sorry for the delay) Here are the results:
Buffer 128 - AG Low, Normal or High. All OK. No dropouts
Buffer 256 - AG Low = dropouts. AG Normal, High both OK.
Buffer 512 - AG Low, Normal = dropouts. AG High is OK
Buffer 1024 - AG Low, Normal, High all = dropout/clicks.

I performed the test using the Demo track ā€œCubase 12 - Pop Demo By Austin Hull.cpr_MIXEDā€
My systems specs are:
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2687W v4 (12 core / 2 processors)
128 GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro (19044.1586)
GPU Nvidia Quadro P600
RME HDSPe Madi

2 Likes

Hello! For me it is exactly the sameā€¦ The performance indicator jumps, even on an empty projectā€¦ With the same latency settings as in C11, nothing can be done in C12. In addition, I am annoyed by the jumping indicator when changing the sound in some plugins, even such as PADSHOP or SYNTHMASTER 2 and how pops occur when I select tracks during the project playback. The same pops occur as during playback I add a MIDI track ā€¦ In C11 such a thing did not occurā€¦

1 Like

Is the meter actually correct though?

I had this doubt as well; however: the Windows ressourcemonitor shows a ressource demand for Cubase 12 which is more than twice the value of Cubase 11 for the same project. In other words: the problem is real and not caused by incorrect metering of the audio performance meter in Cubase 12.

2 Likes

You probably did this, but how did you confirm that both your versions are using the same VST prefs

Hi @djn14 , thanks for your feedback (and also for setting the cooperative tone on this thread!).
The reported behaviour is as expected, due to the bug, though not desirable. We didnā€™t get the fix for this into the .10 update, unfortunately. We are working on it for one of the next updates.

4 Likes