Cubase 12 Upgrade ASIO-Guard Issue

Is multicore activated in the performance tab in superior drummer 3?
If so try selecting 1 single core and see what happens, in my case it performs much better when 1 core is selected vs 8 (or any other number).
Hope this help!!

Good points, I wondered if I was experiencing a hardware problem but my drives all seem to check out ok (I have external SSDs for samples and project files). I am pretty sure there was nothing unusual like software updates happening.

I did download the Cubase demo track you mentioned and played it back multiple times with no issues, the ASIO meter was peaking about a third, I clicked on various tracks, no issues.

Generally speaking I have noticed the performance meter bump up a bit when enabling monitor on a track, even a midi track but I used to notice this on Cubase 11 as well, most times it settles down.

I will see how I get on over the next few days.

I donā€™t seem to be having the problems mentioned here, but on an extremely large project I couldnā€™t get it to play in CBP12 at all. But just hitting the monitor button for 1 vst instrument or audio track allows it to play. I just noticed the same behaviour in 11 as well. In 12 when I do this, the ASIO-Guard meter drops considerably and the Realtime meter jumps up. But I can do this on any unused track and my project becomes playable again.

I should update/clarify. Iā€™ve never had ASIO Guard on High until this issue. I was using it on Normal. What Iā€™m experiencing is the red light and dropouts. I changed it to High and it might have made a miniscule difference but not much. I can only run the project in C12 if I remove the Mix bus plug-ins - this is my last bus before the Master (Stereo Out) bus. One of theses plugins does chew CPU - itā€™s the CLA Mixdown. The others are UAD and should not matter. Except - they are VST2. I opened the project in C11 and saved as a new version. It runs with the Mix plugs. Unfortunately for me, this means the update I purchased was wasted cash, which is a tad disappointing. I purchased for the multi track audio warping and I see thatā€™s not working completely anyway. 2022! Itā€™s a year to forget so far.

Hi all.

Well, that was short lived. I started a new project in C12. I didnā€™t get very far before the random spikes started happening again.

There doesnā€™t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I opened up Activity Monitor to try to discern a pattern, but nothing obvious presented itself.

This is one place where I wish Steinberg would take a page out of some other DAWs and present more detail on CPU and Plugin Usage. Studio One and Tracktion Waveform do an excellent job in this area.

This may be purely coincidence, but I note that the project that I ran in a loop all night without spikes (see previous post) used only VST3 plugins. This new project - and all of the others cited in my previous posts - had some VST2 plugins in them.

Another avenue to explore in the morning I suppose.

George

As I understand it C 12 doesnā€™t support the Vst2. That is porbably the issue

I had solid Cubase 11 performance (hyperthreading off) but great instability with Cubase 12.
So I trashed preferences and activated Hyperthreading on and now Cubase 12 is working fine.
Windows 11,Intel 11th gen processor.

@Sonico
Yes, SD3 doesnā€™t perform well with MC activated. I have it set on 1 core for quite some time now. There are plugins who did well with MC on the max (like U-he Repro 5), but with SD MC should be deactivated when running inside of Cubase.

Unfortunately that doesnā€™t help with the C12/ASIO Guard problem.

Trashing prefs seems to work for some. Which pref files should I trash? All, or just a few particular ones?

Still learning how to use this forum. Deleted my reply by mistake. Here it is again:

It doesnā€™t support 32-bit plugins, but Iā€™m pretty sure it supposed to support 64bit VST2 plugins on intel Macs stillā€¦

This software version does not support 32-bit plug-ins. VST 2 plug-ins only run in Rosetta 2 mode on Apple silicon Mac. Cubase does not support VST 2 when running natively on Apple silicon Macs. Microsoft Basic Display Driver is not recommended.

But itā€™s an interesting path to pursue. Does using VST2 plugins in a project introduce an issue versus an all VST3 project. Highly unlikely, but Iā€™m willing to grasp at anything at this point. Iā€™ll give it a quick test later.

in my case it happens with cubase 12 running on windows 10 with just one instance of amplitube 5 inserted as VST3. Heavy spiking and red displays. The identical setting uses 40% the max of the available resources with Cubase 11 and 25% the max with Reaperā€¦

1 Like

You can try the link below as a first approach to troubleshooting preference files. Also, Iā€™m not sure sure if this is still true or not, but I seem to remember that when you delete all the preference files, on restart Cubase will inherit the pref files from previous versions if you have them installed along side each other. You want to make sure on restart that Cubase generates all new pref files. Maybe this doesnā€™t apply to C11 / C12, still there are separate installs.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/customizing/the_preferences_disabling_t.html

I appreciate you taking the time to test with the Demo track. Interesting you can not hear any dropout/clicks when selecting an instrument track, then selecting a folder track. This behavior arms and un-arms the instrument tracks. With AG set to Low and Normal, I can hear the dropouts on my system. With AG on High, I donā€™t hear the dropouts. While I tested this, my meter was behaving normally, but I can definitely hear the dropout/clicks.

More food for thoughtā€¦
So C12 works splendid on my ASUS ROG GU501GM laptop running Windows 10 home edition as does C11 and C10.5. On my main studio desktop, (ASUS Prime 270-A build) C11 and C10.5 work perfectly however with C12 any VST instrument including the newest Halion SE or Groove Agent SE when record enabled or while inputing MIDI generates horrible fuzz and distortion. Like many of you Iā€™ve tried everythingAsio related to no avail. The only notable differences I can find between the 2 machines are the laptop is running Windows 10 home and the desktop is running Windows 10 pro, the laptop uses a NVDIA graphics card with 6gb of ram and the desktop is using on board integrated Intel graphicsā€¦.Iā€™m wondering if it could have anything to do with the graphics? Integrated versus separate card with dedicated RAM???

Thanks for sharing this. That is an interesting thought and something worth investigating a little deeper. I would be curious to know what changes (if any) where made in C12 that would have an effect on this? At this point it would be nice to get some official recognition and dialog from Steinberg regarding all the issues we are experiencing!

Iā€™m experiencing a similar issue with Kontakt VIs (like Pharlight and Straylight).

With C11 Pro (Win10 Pro/NVIDIA card) I could run more than a dozen of these VIs with no audio drop-outs or performance meter spikes. In C12 Pro Iā€™m not able to run a single instance (even when playing just one note) without getting spikes and drop-outs.

Thatā€™s quite a drop in performance!

djn14,

I finally was able to test a little with the Cubase Demo Track you mentioned and while I am not getting any clicks and pops with Low, Normal, or High ASIO Guard settings, I can confirm that once you arm (Record Enable) any Instrument track, there is about a 10% jump with Realtime and Peak. Not a spike but an actual consistent jump. It goes away as soon as you disable record.

Without the tracks being Record Enabled, There is literally almost no reading on Realtime or Peak.

Very strange.

I am on Win10 Pro, i9-9900k using Motu UltraLiteMK5

Iā€™m not so sure itā€™s strange. When you record enable a track I think it needs a realtime audio path so it wonā€™t be a part of the ASIO Guard path. And since ASIO Guard sort of ā€˜evens outā€™ the load on the CPU the opposite applies for the track in record; it increases the demands on realtime performance, which makes it more ā€˜spikeyā€™, which is why realtime and peak numbers go up.

So to me it seems like it is the way it should be. Or at least thatā€™s how I understood Steinbergā€™s description of it.

5 Likes

Yeah, fair enough

That makes sense.

Yep, thatā€™s the way ASIO guard works. It puts every track/group/buss/FX on a very high latency except the one that is active. That track(s) is running on the nominal latency set in the ASIO settings.

My system is set to 64 samples (old RME Multiface). When I activate a track, itā€™s running on those 64 samples for recording MIDI and/or audio. Everything else in my project runs with a much higher latency. AFAIK with ASIO guard on ā€œhighā€ itā€™s 64x the latency, so with ASIO latency set on 64 samples all tracks but the active ones are running @ 4096.

Having said that, the problem we are facing with Cubase 12 is that it takes much more CPU for the activated channel(s) (=running on ASIO/nominal latency) than Cubase 11 did. A peak is to be expected when activating a CPU-heavy track, that is the same behaviour in C11. But in C12 that hit/peaks is/are much higher than before.

4 Likes