Cubase 12 worse performance than C11

Same problem here!

2 Likes

It probably regard to the ASIO guard issue in the pinned post. I’ve having similar issue that occasionally lead to my playback having lag issue.

3 Likes

Tested with some projects, using the Task Manager to monitor CPU usage. Cubase own CPU-meter is not really reliable.

ASIO Guard set to: Normal
DAW: RME Digiface USB @ 256 samples, AMD Ryzen 3950x (16 cores), 3600 MHz memory.

This is the result of my tests while doing playback:

Project 1: C11 ~= 19% | C12 ~= 15% | Note: large amount of VSTi's, about 30 instances.
Project 2: C11 ~= 31% | C12 ~= 25% | Note: 108 tracks with both audio tracks & VSTi's.
Project 3: C11 ~= 24% | C12 ~= 18% | Note: 75 tracks with both audio tracks & VSTi's.

Result: C12 is more than 5% more efficient on the CPU than C11 on my current projects. No dropouts or peaks during playback.

Opinion: The result is actually quite good. :slight_smile:

Caveat: I’m not using any large sample libraries like Kontakt with large amount of polyphony, those could affect the CPU differently than pure DSP based plugins.

Side note: C12 loads much faster for me and doesn’t hang when I quit projects atm (this is something that comes and goes during all years using of Cubase so it might start again…).

1 Like
1 Like

Same problem over here C11 working perfect bought C12 pro cant work with it Performance issue and also free warp is totally not working!!!

4 Likes

Question: does anything change to the better if you save the 11.0.40 project from Cubase 12 and then reopen?

No, same issues are still present.

Same for me. I backed up the project etc and it was the same.

Yeah. Cubase 12 feels alot snappier to me when playing back only midi or audio without any plugins, which is great, but the damn Asio Guard spikes keep cropping up the moment I start using plugins.

2 Likes

Yes i have those issues

They say there is a fix coming soon

V12 is worse than V11 for me too atm, by around 10%. How many tracks and plugins are you using in that project? seems like a 5900x should be way more performant than that even on Cub 11 unless you have a lot of cpu intensive plugins running?

FWIW, I’ve seen zero difference in performance so far with C12 over C11, though my music system is powered by a non-Intel chip; i.e., AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU for sake of reference.

By the way, my personal tests was done on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.
Those of you that have issues, what version of Windows are you running?
Microsoft has made some changes to the CPU scheduling between versions.

Also: I am not using Steinberg’s Power Plan profile, I’m using “1usmus” Ryzen Power Plan (google it).

Have you seen this post on the other thread?:

Turning on Steinberg Power Scheme solved the performance issue for some users.
The setting doesn’t get transferred when installing a new major version of Cubase with new prefs.
Hope this helps!

1 Like

I also experience some speed problems here: exporting a VST piano track with only one instance of Pianoteq 7 takes about 1,5 times longer in C12.
Why is that? Same output format (standard 128 kpbs mp3).
Kind of anoying since I do this dozens of time per week.

Boy - I’m staying away from this one till the next release. Sorry to see so many colleagues having such a poop time. Best wishes from Perth Western Australia!

4 Likes

Well, hmmmm…that was easy. Turned on Steinberg Power Scheme and all my problems vanished in the wind (as long as I don’t listen to the news).
Steinberg Support said to check the version of my audio interface (RME Multiface II) and to disable all plugins except for Steinberg’s.
Cubase ain’t Logic, or something like that. The advice made NO logical sense. .Thanks very much for the help, Chriss.

2 Likes

I am feeling strangely guilty saying this, “I am not having any issues upgrading to 12”. Everything is working as it should, with any project recorded in 11 performing as it should in 12. So what am I doing wrong?

Yeah, you should be!
Good on ya!

1 Like

C12 hangs - on opening, on changing ASIO driver, on closing. It takes 2 minutes for Halion SE to open. C11 is fast. C12 takes forever to interface with Windows (10) like when importing an audio track. C11 hung every so often because my USB ports lost sight of the eLicenser. No other hangs though. C12 has hung 20 times a day since I’ve had it. A bit annoying that I’m going to have to set aside a day (or more) to troubleshoot by removing all 3rd party plugins and adding them one at a time, and trying to figure out what is going on… Why the F am I having to waste my time doing software testing? I’m getting frequent hangs and when I restart it says C12 crashed on Freeze.
Why so different from C11?

2 Likes