Cubase 12 worse performance than C11

Sigh…so sorry to hear that, I am still holding on upgrading to 12…

1 Like

Brand new PC, just built last week. Not even two weeks old. Works beautifully…however…I’m using Cubase 12.0.3 at the moment. Kontakt 6 is an issue here. When the Kontakt track is record armed, and either playing back midi or especially inputting midi, there’s horrible rapid Asio spikes. Unarming the track and then playing back does not present any issues.

After using 12 for a while, I installed C11. This issue is not happening in Cubase 11.

Specs:
i5-12600k
Windows 11
Main drive is a 1 TB Western Digital SSD
32 GB RAM
Kontakt samples are all on a 2 TB Samsung SSD

Record arming the track raises the VSTi to real-time priority. Cubase 12 uses a different metering algorithm to earlier versions, which is meant to be more accurate but can look worse.

This might be a non-problem; if your system works without dropouts, don’t worry about the apparently high meter.

Out of curiosity, what else is in your project apart from the instance of Kontakt?
We’re tracking on Cubase (12.0.30) at the moment with an instance of Superior Drummer 3, three instances of Kontakt 6, two instances of Soundpaint and one of Mtron. The real time and peak meters are clearly showing the load but the Asio Guard meter is barely visible and not moving much at all.

There is a very good support article on the Steinberg Help Center site that does a great job describing how ASIO-Guard functions: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206103564-Details-on-ASIO-Guard-in-Cubase-and-Nuendo

Anyone with spiking issues may want to read the support article because it sheds a great deal of light on limitations of ASIO-Guard and the potential for drop-outs to occur under specific conditions.

I wanted to give an update on this.

It seems David_W is correct about my situation being a non-issue. Despite the big peak spikes according to the meter, my playback and recording are working normally without any issues.

1 Like

I didn’t had any cpu spikes before the latest update, now I have cpu spikes with 2 audio tracks and the buffer size at maximum so is a bug

Cubase 11 is still much faster and snappier than 12…its so sad…

2 Likes

C12 is pretty snappy for me. It still has moments of pausing and thinking about things though.

I dare not A/B it with C11 as i’m quite happy with it, minus the silly bugs.

ok, so im not sure if this is helpful to you but I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the GUI was choppy and slow. Im on a new M1 Pro MacbookPro and Cubase 12, thinking it was the new OS and Rosetta or some outdated unsupported plugins (there were certainly a lot of those running)

Copy your Preferences folder to keep any templates or key commands or whatever.
then Trash your preferences folder. I made the mistake of copying mine over from Cubase 11. BAD IDEA.

Then found out, I had to check “Disable GPU Acceleration” because Output’s Arcade was turning all the fonts in Cubase into cryptic code. Thankfully that fixed that.

I opened the session with lots of plugins I was experience the laggy GUI on and noticed all the windows for every plugin were open on the desktop behind the Project window. Usually I have my plugins set to “Always on top” in the preferences and therefore the plugin window gets closed when im done using it. As soon as I closed ALL the plugins, viola. Shes purrin like a kitten again.

Hope that helps…

Found this idea is pretty bad for me. My eyes are bleeding of UIs without Metal acceleration

Just installed 12 and i can confirm the same old bug.

I have exactly the same settings in 11 and 12 and when i open the same project in 11, it uses around 3/4 of CPU, and when i open it in 12 and play the exact same bar, it goes max and starts dropping out and spiking a lot.

Please make sure that the Steinberg Audio Power Scheme is enabled in Studio Setup.

Tried that also, nothing changed.

Strange thing, i’ve just opened another project in 12 and it uses less CPU than in 11.
With a lot of plugin bypassing i realized that Steinberg’s Multitap delay (which i use a lot) uses much more CPU in 12 than in 11.
When i bypass it in 11, CPU meter goes down just a bit, and when i do that in 12, it goes down 1/4 of whole meter. That is sick.

HI everyone.
I found something that might be helpful to some of you. I have a Dell laptop I7 running Windows 11, but I think this should also apply to Windows 10.
I acquired Cubase 12 and I am also having problems with performance for using Pianoteq 7, with performance index in the low 40s. This would cause drops in the sound and CPU overloading warnings by Pianoteq VST. Based on the suggestions in this forum, I tested with Cubase 11 and the performance was actually good, with the performance index in the 80s. I tried to copy the same configuration between the two versions, but to no avail.
Then, after I gave up trying to change and improve the sound, I decided to change a configuration in the desktop shortcut I have already for C11 in order to allow the VSTs interfaces to display with the correct scaling. I have to do that because my laptop has a 4k monitor and the VSTs show very small screens if I don’t correct that. I did that and now the scaling is correct for C12 as well. However, to my great surprise, the performance of the Pianoteq VST plugin improved a lot, very similar to the C11 !!!
Don’t ask me why this happens, but I show you below what I did:
1- Right click the desktop icon that opens the Cubase 12 application and choose Properties in the menu
2- Click the Compatibility tab
3- Click “High DPI Settings” button
4- Check the box “Use this setting to fix scaling problems …”
5- Then in the dropdown list “Use the DPI that’s set for my main display when” choose “I open this program”
6- Then also check the box “Override high DPI scaling …”
7- Then in the dropdown list “Scaling performed by” choose “System”
8- Press OK and save this configuration
I cannot understand why a display configuration is affecting the sound performance. But maybe Cubase uses the GPUs to do some processing and that’s might be the reason.
Anyway, I hope this can be of any help, or at least lead to some path of investigation to solve those issues.

Yeah, here is another one with the same symptoms! I see the topic is a little old but it’s a considerable difference in Cubase 11 and Cubase 12 for the performance. So there … I’m here too!