Cubase 13 crash playback

Hi everyone, I encountered a big problem in Cubase 13, when I stop audio playback the progress line stops but audio playback continues. Cubase crashes and you have to close it using the task manager

1 Like

Hi,

Did Cubase crash or did it freeze and you had to quit it via Task Manager?

Did you get a DMP file? If yes, attach it, please.

At least basic details about your system would be helpful.

1 Like

Hi, I stopped playback normally with the stop button, the window and and the progress bar stopped normally, but the audio continued playing. After that, Cubase seemed to freeze and didn’t respond to any commands, and to stop playback I had to close the program with the task manager. However, Cubase did not fail. so it didn’t give any error message.

1 Like

Hi!
Could you solve the issue? I just upgradet to Cubase 13 and have the same problem. It crashes when stopping playback, even in a new project without any tracks…
Regards
Tench

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Attach the *.ips/dmp file, please.

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

1 Like

Hi Martin,

it gets worse. Yesterday I worked with Cubase 12 without issues. Today the first time I tried Cubase 13 with the crash decribed above. And now Cubase 12 has the same issue! I de-installed 13 and Cubase 12 still crashes. Enclosed two crash files I had today.

Regards

Tench
Cubase 13.0.30 64bit 2024.4.26 9.25.01.070-freezedump.dmp (737,8 KB)
Cubase 13.0.30 64bit 2024.4.26 9.21.10.292-freezedump.dmp (995,0 KB)

I also re-installed Cubase 12 and it still crashes. There must have been happend something bad somewhere in files that 13 and 12 share.

When I load Cubase with the default setting after a crash the problems not appears. When I start with my user defined setting it crashes.

Update:

So, it seems to be solved: it depends on my previous user defined settings. Something happend with them when testing Cubase 13. Obviously it changed something in a bad way that Cubase 12 also uses. After Cubase 12 crashed I have choosen “Delete user defined setting” (I translated it from German, but you know which of the three options it is) when I started it again. I also installed Cubase 13 again. Both versions don’t habe the issue anymore.

I am quite happy now even if it costs me 4 hours of lifetime and loosing my user defined settings forever.

Hi,

Do you mean the Preferences folder, or the defaults.xml (disable/removed from the Safe Start Dialog, if you disable or remove the preferences)?

Could you attach the whole Preferences folder (ZIPped), or the defaults.xml (if the Safe Start Dialog is the way, you did it), please?