Cubase 4 on Snow Leopard

Hi all

After getting frustrated for the hundredth time I have not used my Cubase for a year or two. Decided to get back in there and have had several problems, & hope you can help.

First. I’ve updated all software: Cubase, grooveagent 3, upgraded to guitarrig 4. I am using a Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz with 10GB RAM, audio in via a m-audio mobile-pre, and midi from a midiman usb keystation 49, so a pretty basic set-up compared to most. (have a yamaha 01x but drivers no longer supported in snow leopard so have now an expensive doorstop, but that’s a separate issue…)

Problems are:
1 - Open a midi track & cannot get a signal from the keystation.
2 - Most VST instruments seem to have gone, and only Halion 1 will open without crashing the app - everything else causes a hang till I force quit.
3 - Not seeing guitarrig or grooveagent
4 - Want to get audio in via the M-audio, but out via the built-in - not sure it’s possible
5 - Worried grooveagent will not work well with either cubase 4 or 6

I mostly record live guitar / bass / vocals & have little experience using midi, but there were a wealth of included toys on here that have now vanished, and do not understand why it cannot see the keystation.

Am considering an upgrade to cubase 6, but have always spent SO MUCH time troubleshooting, I am not sure whether to bother. The only thing keeping me from a switch to Logic (apart from the cost) is that I really like grooveagent - for a sequencing / midi moron like me, it’s really simple to use. I cannot get any clue whether I will be able to get it to talk to either Cubase or Logic, but as it seems to be yet another expensive bit of kit that is not being developed beyond a few years (no more updates I understand), might not be worth clinging on to.

Can anyone help? I do not want to change over but lack of support, reliability and sheer complexity doing me in.

Cheers

Dan

Wasn’t there a special installer for use with Vista and SL for C4? I think it’s either in the Knowledge Base or the .ftp site.

Sorry, installer for C4? I’ve uploaded the latest mac update cubase 4.5.2.274 today with no joy.

Are you seeing the Keystation in Apple’s Audio MIDI Setup? And if so, do you get any response if you click on “Test Setup” then play a note on the Keystation?

2 - Most VST instruments seem to have gone, and only Halion 1 will open without crashing the app - everything else causes a hang till I force quit.
3 - Not seeing guitarrig or grooveagent

1. Is Apple’s Rosetta installed?
  2. Try trashing Vst2xBlacklist.xml from your Cubase 4 Preferences folder.

4 - Want to get audio in via the M-audio, but out via the built-in - not sure it’s possible

Yes… You need to set up a new Aggregate Device in Apple’s Audio MIDI Setup, then use that new device as your audio device in Cubase.

5 - Worried grooveagent will not work well with either cubase 4 or 6

Sorry, can’t help you there.

C4 isn’t officially supported on SL which could explain some of your issues. IE missing pluggins , hanging etc. I know that there are users out there who are running it successfully but im not sure if they needed to do anything special .

HTH

No Not seeing it. Checked drivers & apparently not required. Searching apple forums for answers now.

No. Will try that.

Thanks guys. Must say I am so frustrated with constant troubleshooting - has always been the same with Steinberg products - that am strongly considering a switch to another DAW - probably Logic as am apple user. Grooveagent was the main keeper for me, and they’ve discontinued that, and so not sure. LExpress will cost as much as an upgrade to C6.

Any advice on this? You may have gathered I am not a pro user, but garageband does not cut it. That said, could not get my head around Logic back when it was Emagic.

Cheers

Dan

Considering troubleshooting: You’re in good hands with vic & mashedmitten…

concerning whether switching to logic & troubleshooting cubase:
I have really no problems using cubase and troubleshooting is a very very minor issue, not as some years ago or under windows. though there are some undesired behaviours, it’s not a real issue.

Concerning logic: Pricing is one issue. Personally I don’t like the User Interface of logic, though for apple the software has also some advantages. I personally prefer cubase.

→ Depending on which use you give it you should try reaper (www.reaper.fm). It’s way cheaper than both cubase & logic and supports AU & VST.

Concerning the plugins: I suggest you to install REAPER to check whether it’s cubase which does not recognize your plugins, makes wrong routings, etc. or if it’s a general OS issue (which would blame the OS and not cubase)

It’s a generally recmmendable way to troubleshoot such issues, because you can test, whether the problems originate from the OSX or from Cubase itself.

P.S: I assume you did an OS upgrade too, right? Probably that messed up some routing issues, etc…