Cubase 5....crashes, more IS LATEST VERSION BETTER

Greetings,

Would latest version be better ?? I tried it once and it really started crashing. Since then, (was on 10.6.4) now on 10.6.5, I went back to version 5.1.1.

last night…

Using Cubase 5.1.1. Had three VI open, Play for East West Quantum Pianos, Akoustik Piano and Superior Drummer.
Upon playing, and switching a piano version in Akoustik…the program just shut down for now reason. Processor power was barely hitting 10 percent…it just quit.

I am worried that when I get to a full-blown project will it bale on me then ??

I have a Mac Pro, Quad Core 2.66 Nehelem, with 6 gig of ram, running Motu hd192 interface and Motu Midi Timepiece AV.
This should handle at least 16 tracks with VI and a couple of inserts on 4 channels of vocals, right ??

I ´ve got a similar mac configuration with Cubase 5.5.2 and it works perfectly. My recommendations (If you have not yet tried):
repair disk permission
download last syncrosoft eLicenser control
trash cubase preferences.plist
…and
trash your cubase folder preferences and restart a new configuration. I had at beginning some crashes that were solved once resetted the cubase folder preferences; now I do periodical folder backups with time machine and if I see any abnormal cubase behavior I trash the folder and download the last stable version from my time machine archive
If the problem persists reinstall Cubase with none-steinberg plugin, and then install your VST and plugin one by one and look for if any could be the culprit