Cubase 5 Essential & EWQLSO Gold

Has anybody managed to use EWQLSO Gold on Cubase 5 Essential (32 bit) via Windows 7 (64 bit)?

If so, what’s your secret? I’ve been trying to hammer out a solution for 3 weeks now, and it’s killing me. I don’t suppose that it helps that I had spent years using Cubase SE 1 beforehand.

What’s the specific problem?

Maybe you installed the x64 version of EWSQL but Essential requires the x86 dll ? Please check if you have the Play dll in your Programs (x86)/VSTplugins folder. If not, try reinstalling and make sure you are installing the x86 VSTi.

best
Helge

Thanks for that. What you said Helge is perfectly true. I’ve sorted it now (it took about a month, but I got there in the end). What I am concerned with is the fact that I wasn’t notified of any reply to this discussion, and it is only by coming back to it with another problem that I’ve managed to find you reply.

My main issue now is that I keep getting the message “Cubase 5 Essential has encountered a serious problem. Please try to save this project under a new name etc etc”. I seem to be getting that every time I think that I’m making headway with it. In all honesty, I never had this problem with Cubase SE. What’s more, the score editing is extremely awkward now.

Sorry for the whine, but I’m getting quite frustrated. Have you any old Cubase SE disks hidden away in a filing cabinet that I could borrow?

You can download and install SX3. C5 license can run it.

My main issue now is that I keep getting the message “Cubase 5 Essential has encountered a serious problem. Please try to save this project under a new name etc etc”.

Did you install the latest update (5.1.1)? If not, please download and install from here:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/downloads_ce5.html

Does it solve the issue?

What I am concerned with is the fact that I wasn’t notified of any reply to this discussion

In the forum post window you can activate the “Notify me when a reply is posted” under Options (it seems to be turned off by default).

best
Helge (steinberg)

Where can I find that?

I’ve always had that ‘notify me…etc’ checked.

Also, when I looked into the members’ list, there was no mention of my name. Am I on probation or something?

Hi Helge,

I did exactly what you said. I reinstalled ‘Cubase 5 Essential’ and saw to it that it went to the ‘programsx86’, but looking inside the Cubase folder there were no .dll files at all. There was:

1. Cubase_Essential_5.1.1_Update
  2. Cubase Essential 5 (written twice, one with logo, one without)

That seems to be all the relevant files to our discussion. Meanwhile, I have a few questions to ask:

A. Why is it, when I’m loading about the 3rd or 4th instrument, I get a message saying: “Cubase 5 Essential has encountered a serious problem. Please try to save this project under a new name etc etc”. I haven’t installed the update you gave me, because it seems to already be in the Cubase folder (see above)

B. ‘mashedmitten’ kindly gave me a link whereby I was able to download SE3 with my Cubase 5 Essential license.
However when I tried that it downloaded okay (in compressed form), but when installing/decompressing it, I was given the message ‘‘access denied’’. This was with my e-licenser plugged in.

C. As a composer of classical music, I tend to work straight from the ‘score editor’ (without a keyboard). However, whilst I found Cubase SE’s score editor easy to work with, Cubase 5 Essential’s is extremely cumbersome. For example when writing out a complicated rhythm, I cannot put in just any note length in. I have to make sure that the quantise is on that note, and even then, it won’t let me annotate the note where I want it.
Could it be that you’re fading out the scoring potential of this programme and concentrating on the play/key editor modes (although I do use the key editor a lot myself for expression and articulation)?

I look forward to your reply, because I am extremely eager to get to work, especially with the new samples (EWQLSO Gold) which I received. I just finished my first symphony last year, I’ll post you the file (samples are from Miroslav, HALion, and Sample Tank). Just imagine what they would sound like with ‘Play’.

The score editor in Cubase 5 Essential doesn’t have full functionality unfortunately.

I don’t need it have full functionality. I just want to be able to use it to compose with and then mix on the key editor, ready for transferring to Finale (which does have full functionality). The scoring capabilities in Cubase SE allowed me to do this, but somehow, i’m not getting the same cooperation from Essential 5.