Cubase 5 not loading

I have recently moved computer, my Cubase 5 loaded ok and ran then I copied all the dll files from my old computer into the vst folder on the new one and I have the vst instruments on a separate hard drive. Now I can.t get Cubase to load up as soon as it gets to loading the vst instruments it crashes and does not respond? Any ideas?

Hi and welcome,

Probably one (or more) VST plug-in is not compatible. Or need some more files, or libraries. You should install these plug-ins properly. Not just move the DLL files.

I do this frequently with Cubase 5, mostly because of the Daylight Savings Time bug. I have hundreds of plugins, many of which cause Cubase to crash on startup when Cubase rescans. Although it takes several hours, what works for me almost 100% of the time is:

1. Take everything out of the shared plugin folder.
  2. Add plugins back in, one at a time, or in small batches. Try to restart Cubase.
  3. Repeat step 2 until you identify all the problem plugins.
  4. Put all the plugins that don’t cause Cubase to crash in the shared folder and start Cubase.
  5. Close Cubase, and then put all the plugins that do cause Cubase to crash in the shared folder.
  6. Restart Cubase. Everything should now load and work fine, even the plugins that were causing Cubase to crash.