Cubase 5 problem

Hey everyone,

I’m getting a bunch of Cubase crashes when trying to run plugins and I think it’s related to the 2 different program files

I have a 32bit operating system.

Why do I have both program files and Program files (x86)? x86 is for 32bit system, so why do I have the other program files? This makes no sense to me.

Secondly, Steinberg is in both sets of program files (x86 and regular)

I found this link: Cubase Guide - Plug-in Administration | Knowledge Base | Support

It says this:

If you have only installed the Cubase 32 bit version, we recommend to install the VST files as shown below.
32 bit operating systems: C: > Program Files > VSTPlugins
64 bit operating systems: C: > Program Files (x86) > VSTPlugins
If you are using Cubase in both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version, it is recommended to define separate VST folders for each version of Cubase and install all VST files into their respective folder:

32 bit plugin version: C: > Program Files (x86) > VSTPlugins
64 bit plugin version: C: > Program Files > VSTPlugins

How the hell does this make sense, if you have a 32 bit op. system you put them in the regular program files? But that isn’t even for 32 bit system, you should be using the x86 no?

Also, I have duplicates of each plugin put into the 4 Plugin folders:

program files/steinberg/cubase5/VSTplugins
program files/steinberg/Vstplugins
program files (x86)/steinberg/cubase5/VSTplugins
program files(x86)/steinberg/Vstplugins

I’m assuming that if I have a 32 bit system, I cannot run Cubase in the 64 bit version, therefore it’s running only in the 32 bit, which doesn’t make sense that they say to put plugins in the regular problem files folder?

tried updating plugin information and it still messes up. it stops updating on Roomworks which has a path of:

program files/steinberg/cubase5/VST3

not sure if that’s even my problem though…

So confused!

Thanks,

Jeremy

If you have both a “Program Files” folder and a “Program Files (x86)” folder on your C Drive, that would indicate that you are actually on a 64 bit operating system. Go to the Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties. What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32 or 64 bit?

Cubase 5 32 and 64 can be on a 64 bit OS at the same time without affecting each other. However, if you are trying to run 32 bit plugins in 64 bit, it is likely that would be the cause of the issue. Here is some information on the VST Bridge: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/what-is-the-vst-bridge/kb_back/2025.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[keyword_search]=Bridge

I would suggest removing all of your plugins, then restart Cubase to verify it opens properly. Then add plugins back in one at a time (add it, open Cubase, verify, shut down Cubase, add next plugin, open Cubase…).

Hey Chris,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition

i3 CPU 530 @2.93Ghz, 4.00GB (2.96GB usable)
32-bit operating System.

really confused now :frowning:

Can you post a picture of your System page and a picture of the contents of your C drive? Hopefully that will help us figure out the issue.

Here they are!

It is very abnormal that a 32 bit OS would have both Program Files and Program Files (x86). Did you migrate from another system? I would suggest considering an OS reinstall.