Cubase 5 Timeline query

Firstly a big hello to the forum!

I am new here (and to Cubase) and want to upgrade but being the talented composer/writer that I am there are a few things that bug me about this most promising program, that being:

• Is there a way to make the current timeline entry be shown in the transport bar?

I was on C4 for quite a while and was told to upgrade to 5 but was hesitant. So glad I did because the horizontal zoom feature is working absolutely brilliantly and is a pleasure to work with. Also track management is an utter breeze when you can have all tracks at any specified height and they stay there. In addition the mediabay is a snap now to use.

I was most impressed by this version and would be very keen to try out C6 but want to be cautious.

Take care everyone.

Hello (and welcome :slight_smile: )
I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean by “timeline entry”… could you clarify, please? (do you mean the Tempo? The current tempo is always displayed)

Or, if it’s the cursor position it should be reflected in the Transport. If not, right-click on the Transport and select it to show. You con have two position readouts on the transport, I set one to bars and beats and the other to time.

Hi and thanks for the replies!

It is not the tempo or the cursor position readouts but rather it is the locator positions that are incorrect when a time signature change is made.

There’s a Locators section on the Transport available to show via right-click if it isn’t already.

The locator “entries” are shown they just don’t reflect the actual bar/beat positions when a time signature change is made.

Maybe a better explanation would help. Right now I can’t picture exactly what you want. A little context would go a long way. :sunglasses:

My apologies for not being clear.

Whenever I set the locators to cycle over a series of measures all ok, so long as I don’t alter the time signature of any bar in between the locator points.

The Locators are stationary in that they don’t self-adjust if that’s what you’re driving at. You either have to re-set them manually, or hit P after selecting an event that’s the desired size.

Immortal Hamster is correct… even though the main ruler (and its displayed L & R Locator positions) updates correctly, the display in the Transport Bar doesn’t.

‘Ah, I see!’ said the blind man talking to the deaf person on the telephone as the man with no legs walked by.

(could you please pass the sheet of Braille to the man with no fingers? :stuck_out_tongue: )

So we have a couple of comedians here, that’s fine but it is a serious question being asked because when you click on a locator point in the Transport Bar it alters the locator value and thus the area being cycled over.

… but your query was indeed answered.
…just to be clear… this is purely a graphic problem (and, we concur, it is indeed a glitch)… but the actual L and R points are still intact (they still happen at the same beat positions as before changing the time signature… as I said before, look at their actual positions in the main ruler).
Yes, Cubase should really recalculate the L and R displays on the Transport Bar, but you can get them to display correctly by just giving their markers a little “nudge” in the main ruler.
On the other hand, if, for example you had set L & R Locators to bars #5 and #9, respectively, in the original time signature of 4/4, then you change the time signature to 3/4 at bar #1, it would be a mistake to expect the Locators to be now at bars #5 and #9 in 3/4 (it would in reality be changing their positions, and also the length of the loop).

This thread smacks of brains. :wink:

Haha…

Just how many times can he be guested?

Ok my apologies for calling you a comedian (but your avatar suggests otherwise).

On the other hand, if, for example you had set L & R Locators to bars #5 and #9, respectively, in the original time signature of 4/4, then you change the time signature to 3/4 at bar #1, it would be a mistake to expect the Locators to be now at bars #5 and #9 in 3/4 (it would in reality be changing their positions, and also the length of the loop).

Why a mistake? I am very heavy into music composition and cycling over sections is a large part of what I do and besides half the time when the program loads it shows time, ie 00:00:00:00 when the project was saved with bars & beats.

Time for steiny to do some more work under hood I’d say.

He’s got another username besides this. :yes: It’s easy to spot him. :wink:

Just look for unintelligible posts :laughing:

I only own a single product, thus only have one username.

How would you know anyway? Are you a moderator or Site Admin?

I know there were many people around the world working for Steinberg before Yamaha became a partner and many were let go and have come on here as “normal” persons, are you one of those since that is drawing quite a long bow.