Cubase 5 to 9 update/ Mac update question

I originally purchased cubase studio 5 and later upgraded to the full version of 5. I am getting ready to upgrade to 9 and I had a few questions before doing it. Question 1: Can I update directly from 5 to 9? I am getting ready to purchase a newer mac product and had another question. Question 2: Do I install cubase studio 5 and do the upgrade to the full version of 5 , then upgrade to 9? If no, what is the correct process on a newer mac?

You can upgrade from Cubase 5 straight to Cubase Pro 9. You don’t need to have Cubase 5 installed, you’ll be emailed a download link for the full Cubase Pro 9 installer.

Thank you for your response
But concerning loading Cubase on the new mac, since there is no version of Cubase on it, wouldn’t I need to have studio 5(that was the version I bought and then I upgraded to 5 full version)installed first to upgrade to 9? I can’t just download a 9 update on my new mac without a previous version it…right?

No, it doesn’t work like that. Cubase 5 is too old, so the Cubase 9 installer will come with all required files. Steinberg doesn’t care about which version you were using previously, the Cubase 9 license works the same for everyone.

I have an issue with this. I was until recently working on Cubase 5, decided to upgrade. I have the elicense (dongle) and purchased an upgrade from 5 to 9. I got the installation code w my purchase. However, when I try to launch my Cubase 9 and use the activation code I get this message:

“Currently, there is no license available which can be upgraded by your upgrade license. Please connect an USB-eLicenser, which holds an appropriate upgradable license, to your computer.”

Any suggestions on what to do?