Cubase 5 vs 7 audio engine

I just looking for some info about audio engine difference between cubase 5 and cubase 7, or cubase 6 and 7. Is there any difference or all is the same?

It mostly depends on the ASIO version for the driver of your soundcard, i.e. ASIO 2.0 or 2.2

What? That makes no sense…

Audio engine as far as I know, is no different between the versions. How do you improve upon an audio engine anyway? It is digital…

I think the audio engine is the same superb 32 bit float thing in 5/6/7.

AFAIK it’s independent from ASIO versions of the soundcard. The audio engine is an internal thing and works the same way on a high end interface or on your laptop’s crappy onboard audio device.

ASIO version is very important because it is the interface layer between the sound card and the audio driver.

This has been discussed before and we believe it to be largely the same since probably SX 2. I assure you it’s nothing to worry yourself about.

Your ASIO driver determines the buffers that the audio is run through and is more likely to cause negative effects to your audio’s performance through misuse or instability than the engine is.

The audio engines in v2, v3, v4, v5, v6, and v7 are all identical. Why? Because audio files made from each of these versions will all null. Completely. Yes, I have tested this. Some of the plug-ins might have have changed - specifically in v7, but the audio engine itself has not changed. Once upon a time SB claimed that the v2 audio engine was an upgrade from v1; I have never had v1 and have never done any testing with it, so if they say there was an upgrade there, that might very well be the case.

In terms of the ASIO driver making a difference - on the suface defintely no. I guess you can say that it is the interface layer between the sound card and the audio driver - but that doesn’t make a difference in the exporting of audio. To check this, do an export with your ASIO driver selected, and then another export using the stock MOBO driver. Heck, you can even physically remove the sound card itself from the computer and do another export. All of these files will null, showing that the ASIO driver has no bearing on the export’s sound quality, nor the audio engine.

Cheers.

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the ‘audio engine’ of Cubase, thus off topic.

Today, from a transparency perspective all DAW software is created equal. If you do hear some difference then it’s coming from a setting, effect or option somewhere (numbered and discussed below) not from some inherent quality of the ‘audio engine’.

from DAW Wars

Sorry man that is totally wrong. Your argumentation is like “A BMW and a Chevy are identical. If you drive on the I76 starting from Pittsburgh, both arrive exactly in Philadelphia. So the cars must be the same.”

In other words. Audio results are expected to be identical. What is different is under the hood, and it affects performance.

Umm, what I said is totally correct. v2, v3, v4, v5, v6, and v7 are all identical - all null. That is not totally wrong; it is not even partially wrong. It is 100% correct; it is fact, regardless of your BMW/Chevy example, which makes no sense anyway.

You are making a statement that is completely out of context to the OP’s question. Not to mention, rediculous in form.

The “engine” is a combination of elements, with the ASIO subsystem layer at its’ heart. From there it (the discussion) can only be semantic.

And?

I don’t moderate this forum, so I don’t have to be nice.

Shut the hell up dood. You are not giving accurate information about the topic. Troll another forum.

Jimmy

ASIO is the audio engine :slight_smile:

A bit of basic reading might help enlighten:

One word:

FACEPALM

Second word:

a +1 to the previous facepalm.

I suggest you take the time to educate yourself, before giving advice or comments, regarding things you are not clear about.

I think you need to educate yourself concerning behaving and respecting other people.
So I do not tolerate insulting/ strong language in any way and you are banned for the next month.

Best regards,

Marcus