Cubase 6.0.0 issue - Save Template not working

The same here, on Mac OS X - Can’t Save Template

futureaudio - be fair and go edit the Topic text!

• Bo

its not my topic :wink:

:blush: Sorry :blush:

Good you got it sorted out -

Best regards
Bo

Maybe add “solved” to the topic…

not mine either. Think it was TonyB

I’ve just got a PM from TonyB
He has problems to login to the forum at the moment, so he asked me to post this:

"This does seem to be a “Bug” - although possibly in the installer, rather than Cubase 6.
I’ll gladly rename the topic, though, to “Problem” once I’m allowed back in !!!

It seems the installer program misses changing one “Cubase 5” to “Cubase 6” in the paths included in “Defaults.xml” in the Cubase 6 Application Data Folder.
If you find the line…
…and change it to
…then everything works again, just fine.
No need to trash prefs. (C6 did a good job of setting itself up, and has been very solid so far)."

Hereby done.

• Bo

Not to be a naysayer, but if removing C5 preferences is part of a C6 install and it’s not in an installation guide, how is it not a “bug”? It requires a workaround.

Btw, so by using this method can everyone still re-import their C5 templates and use them in C6? Everyone who’s ever spent hours, days even building orchestral templates and big band templates, etc,etc would NOT want to have to redo everything from scratch.

Hi

should work.

I do not have that much templates but i moved both folders to my desktop and then started C6.

Everything worked fine. Then i copied my templates to the C6 Template Folder and i started it again and all templates were available and worked fine.

Cheers

Christian

ok - phew! that’s nice to read Christian… :slight_smile:

Thanks for explaining/posting - and to Bo and TonyB too for spotting the er, ‘error’…!?! (Anyway, all seems well, since I’d usually follow exactly as futureaudio has done).

Still waiting on the arrival of my package - now due Monday they say… :sunglasses:

Thanks to Bo and TonyB (aka “Hawkeye”) for putting the finishing touch to the installer. All working fine, thanks! :sunglasses:

Hopefully Steinberg can fix the installer soon.
Only a small percentage of users read this forum.

bye, Jan

Exactly. It’s definitely a bug.

How can they fix the installer, which is on the DVD? You can’t patch Cubase before it’s installed on the HDD, so I think this is a bug that won’t be corrected, unless Steinberg create a new master copy for future production, but then those people who already have the copy, or who’ll receive a copy of the current production stock will always have that bug in their copy.

Phew. I’m allowed back in now, having been locked out over the weekend.
I guess they could handle it this way … when the first update comes out, 6.0.1.256 or whatever, it will have to check for the error (change the “5” to a “6” in the file “Defaults.xml”, in the Cubase 6 App Data Folder) whilst it is being installed.
The new DVD’s from that point on, should of course have the installer bug fixed.
In future, when us guys with the original DVD need to do a clean install for whatever reason, we will, of course, also apply any updates, therefore the problem will be caught & fixed.

For anybody that comes across this problem now, though, there’s no need to trash your prefs if you don’t want to.
I’ve been using 6 a lot, with the auto-imported prefs (from C5), and it’s solid as a rock (apart from this one problem with saving a template).

The easy fix is to open the file “Defaults.xml” (in the Cubase 6 application data folder) in “Notepad” or a similar text editor.
(make a safe copy somewhere first…)
Find the line that reads…

…and change it to

… then you will be able to save your Templates again.

Sorry … no idea how to do this on a Mac though… probably very similar ??

Thanks Bo for posting this above while I was locked out … just repeating it here again to make it a bit clearer !!

To add the official part:

I have forwarded your findings to planning and development. The are aware and have this under investigation now for the upcoming maintenance updates. Thanks TonyB!

No Problem !

I must say I am really pleased by this new Steinberg’s approach…
Thank you and hold on to it.

Anybody knows what is the specific file to remove?

Thanks in advance

It’s not a file you remove, see this post above: Steinberg Forums

I fix it removing this file only: “Inserts folder presets.pxml” Located on :User/App data/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 6/Presets.

After remove this i was able to save templates again.

Cheers