Cubase 6.0.2 crashes when using crossfades

Hi,

I was working on a project (2 MIDI tracks, 2 audio tracks) and using crossfades.
I selected the two audio files to be ‘crossfaded’ and all was fine. Then, in order to refine the crossfade I opened the cross fade editor, and when changing the kind of fade (the curve) I get an error message:
"A serious problem has occurred! Please save your project under a different name. … "
The message stated that a log was created in the Cubase 6 folder (Cubase6.LOG.) but I could not find this log.

The problem has occurred repeatedly (three times).

I’m using version 6.0.2

Is this a common problem/bug?

I hope someone can help me with this.
If any detailed information about my project is needed, let me know!

Thanks,
Lars

I’d be inclined to start by trashing the Cubase preferences, and if that doesn’t fix it, re-install Cubase. Don’t use old templates from previous versions

Thanks !

But I have actually not changed anything about the preferences, all is still set to default.

Did anybody else experience this issue?

Even if you have not changed anything in the preferences, they could have become corrupted so I would try that anyway. I have had one project (and read about others) that have something strange happen and never seem to work right again (basically becoming corrupted). You may have to resort to starting a fresh project and importing (or drag and drop) the audio and MIDI tracks into it. It will require a little work but 4 tracks shouldn’t be too bad. It should be easier than re-installing Cubase, which I would do as a last resort. Don’t forget about track presets if you decide to “start from scratch” in a new project. They can save you some time.
HTH
J.L.

Thanks !

I will try what you suggested. But how do I ‘trash’ the preferences?
And how did they become corrupted?
Wouldn’t this suggest that there is some kind of bug?

There is an article in the knowledge base explaining it. It is titled something like, “Deleting the preferences of the sequencer.”
HTH
J.L.

Thank you very much !

I will check it out!

Lars

Hello again,

I have another question regarding my issue and the 'trashing of preferences :

How does the preference folder get corrupted? What would cause this? Could this be a user error or a software plug-in not working correctly? Or could this be a bug in Cubase?
Is there anything I can do to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

Thanks,
Lars

I suppose all of the above could cause it to happen. A good technique is to get the preferences the way you want them and them make a copy of the entire folder. That way, if the preferences encounter a problem, you can just copy your “safe” preferences to reset everything.
HTH
J.L.

Thank you very much ! Sounds like a great idea :slight_smile:

So I take it, this is more or less a common thing that happens to other users frequently, too? And nothing really serious to worry about too much?