Cubase 6.03 and 6.04-Video Engine

Frequently in middle of session Cu-Base stops working. Need to close the program It says Video Engine not working. I did not encounter such issue in earlier versions. It was quite stable. My plateform is Windows 7 64 bit.

Any one encounters similar problem? Can you suggest solution please?

Cheers

Kiran
Muzitek

Hi,
same here. I renamed the file “VideoEngineDecoder.exe” to “VideoEngineDecoder.exe.off” and could work on without problems since then, but I don’t use videos together with Cubase.

Best regards Michael

Same here, cubase 6.03 on XP. Had a few of those crashes, mostly on startup of Cubase or when loading projects. I’m also not using video, so will try your solution, thanks.

update: when I load a project and move the mouse when loading VSTI’s the program crashed. The above workaround works. No more crashes when doing this. Updating to the latest version of quicktime did not help.

I had a couple of random instances of the crash but since discovered I can force this crash every time just by opening Cubase & switching my audio driver. It’s fine on reopening with the correct driver connected.

Thanks Michael,

I also don’t use Video much , but sometime for background score I do.

I will try using your solution when working only on audio . when requires I can enable .

Cheers

Kiran

Just to add:
There is a problem in Cubase 6.03/6.04:

1. Start Cubase
  2. Start Taskmanager
  3. Kill Cubase process

→ VideoEngineDecoder.exe crashes intermittently

This means that when Cubase crashes from what any reson an error message could point to the video engine also if the video engine is not realy part of the problem. I have had cases in which the error message pointed to the video engine and in the end a 3rd party plugin had to be removed from the VST Pluguin folder to solve the issue.

My first troubleshooting suggestion would be this:

Temporarily you should rename your Vst plugin folder. With this approach, you will be able to check if a particular plugin is causing the problem.

The standard VST plugin path for 3red party plugins is

Windos XPC:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
You must rename to
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins inactive

Windows Vista
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
You must rename to
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins inaktiv

[Mac:
Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST
Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST
You must rename to
Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST inactive
Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST inactive]

If this procedure has fixed the problem, you know that a particular plugin has caused the error.
By copying the plugins of the inactive folder to the active VSTplugin folder one by one, you can make out what plugin in particular is causing the problem.

Also optimize your system:
Optimizing-Windows-For-Daws

Gr,
JHP