Cubase 6.5.3 "CRASHING ON STARTUP" alot!

On Windows 7 Pro, Cubase 6.5.3 is crashing on startup quite a bit :frowning: . It takes about 30 to 45 seconds then it gives a message, “Cubase has stopped working” check online for solution… Also, i checked under details of the crash and it said that a “ntdll.dll” file i believe was the problem? Sometimes Halion Sonic se, and sometimes Cubase 6.5.3 itself. Anyone familiar with this ntdll.dll file? Should i uninstall 6.5.3 and reinstall, or go back to 6.5? It did not crash as much. Thanks :confused:

that dll sounds like a hard drive issue. You have ANY other issues at all with your drive and other apps loading, closing, or functioning properly?

Nah, NTDLL.DLL exports the windows native API.
If you have other programs hanging, I would try to run windows updates and after that re-install the NTDLL.DLL through the CMD prompt with the Regsvr32.exe

“regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll” to uninstall.
“regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll” to install.

Use at your own risk of course :wink:

As above plus; this link or similar may help; http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000960.htm
I just googled “what is ntdll.dll” You might use other search terms relevant to your situation.

If it happened after the Cubase 6.5.3 install you may want to peform a system restore to before it was installed to see if there was/is any difference.
You could then probably do a safe reinstallation back to 6.5.3 as I just suspect a local one-off glitch as is usual in my experience of these things. Mostly you’ll find you never know why.
But if it keeps crashing then you need some system maintenance and definitely do need to know why.

I’ve this on Mac…

Thanks for all replies. Thanks for that article Conman, very helpful. i haven’t tried any of the fixes yet. Tonight i will. Meanwhile today i received another crash notice. This one showed “Kernelbase.dll” was the problem. Then right after that one i got “Stackhash_1dc2”. i think i’ll go with Conman’s advice to restore the system back right before 6.5.3 was installed and see what happens (and make sure all windows files are up to date). :sunglasses: Thanks again for all help.

Finally connected the DAW to the internet and let Windows do its update thing. So far no more ntdll.dll errors :slight_smile: ! And so far, no more crashes at startup! Looking good :sunglasses: ! Thanks again all for great troubleshooting tips! :slight_smile: