I’m working on a tutorial for the magazine I write for. The idea was to create a guide on different techniques that could be used to extract vocals or other parts from a song. Which could then be used for remixing or sampling.
One technique I was going to write about that works especially well with electronic music is to find a melodic part that’s clean. Repeat it over the parts that have vocals and phase invert it. However I was getting very weird and unexpected results so I made a video clip to explain what’s happening.
It seems as if Cubase misplaces certain beats causing the phase inverted track to shift slightly. I’ve only tried this on Cubase 6.5.4 yet, so I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the update or with Cubase 6 in general.
Here’s a screen capture to show you what happens:
OS X 10.8.2
2.7 GHz i7 / 8GB DDR3