Cubase 6.5.4 & Windows 8 x64

Hi all,

I am frequently having a VST overload issue with Cubase 6.5.4 on a brand new Windows 8 x64 clean install on a Dell Precision M6500 laptop. Specs at the bottom.

The project in particular I am working on is 32 tracks of 24-bit/48kHz audio. I had just a Waves Q4 and C1 on most channels, which had never really presented a problem before. The performance meter hovered at around 15-20% and performance was very smooth.

But then I got a VST performance clip. And after the clip, performance seriously lagged until I closed out of Cubase and relaunched it. Closing just the project and opening it did not work.

I then removed ALL instances of Waves v9 plug-ins to see if that was the issue, and while VST gauge dropped, I still got a performance clip after some time.

I was using a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 interface. I tried medium - long FW latency, and also tried up to 2048 ASIO buffer size. Didn’t change anything. So then I tried a CEntrance DACport PRO with their ASIO driver, and that still had the problem. Finally, I tried an RME Audio HDSPe MADI card (which is about as high end as cards get) and it too had the problem. So I am thinking this is more of an issue between Cubase and Windows 8.

My clean install has Windows 8, latest drivers, and no unnecessary background processes.

Dell Precision M6500 Mobile Workstation
Intel Core i7 - Q740 (Quad-Core @ 1.73 GHz)
16 GB RAM
OCZ Vector SSD Drive (Windows / Cubase / Project)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M GPU

I may partition out this SSD and get Windows 7 x64 on here and see if that is any different. Yes, Steinberg claims Cubase is Windows 8 compatible, but I’m not convinced how much it was tested. Cubase aside, I really like Windows 8 and have been on it since Beta (through TechNet).