Cubase 6.5 Audio Engine Different Than CB6

I Realtime Exported/Audio Mixdown a 88.2k/24bt project created in CB 6 (Lots of UA /Slate/SSL /SPL Plugins)
Opened the exact same project in CB 6.5 and Realtime Exported/Audio Mixdown a 88.2k/24bt file.
I imported both files into a Wavelab 6 montage and synced them up. What a difference in sound!!! CB6.5 > CB6
I then did a sum difference of the 2 files and couldn’t believe the amount of difference information (Vocal/midrange presence and reverb trails, symbols, strings etc.)
So What Gives Mr Steinberg, with the CB 6.5 Audio Engine (did Yamaha create a new algorithm, was the summing amp re written), and when will Nuendo 5.5 have it as well?

I don’t yet have 6.5… plan to install it this coming weekend. I know that you have a strong piece of evidence that says that the summing engine has changed, but I’d urge you to look at potential other variables. Is it possible that ANYTHING changed between the two projects? I’d be shocked if they changed anything there.

I cannot hear anything different between 6 and 6.5. There must be a logical explanation for what the OP experienced - one part could be the (analog?) variables that may occur during realtime export.

I’ve had (I think bridged) plug-ins behave differently between 64 and 32 bit versions of Cubase.

Did the OP perhaps switch between 32 and 64 bit Cubase going from 6 to 6.5?

Some people reported that certain values in plugins from projects saved in 6.05 didn’t carry over correctly in 6.5. I’m guessing that’s what has changed for you.

That thought doesn’t fill me with confidence and joy, hence I STILL wonder if there’s a simple way to have both 6.0x and 6.5 available for use on Mac, with the ability to switch in between versions easily.

If that were the case, it would imply that the OP is perceiving that the removal or randomization of plug-in settings resulted in an improved sound. Hmmmm.

Umm, no.

That thought doesn’t fill me with confidence and joy, hence I STILL wonder if there’s a simple way to have both 6.0x and 6.5 available for use on Mac, with the ability to switch in between versions easily.

Yes, there is…

1. Before you install 6.5, go to your Applications folder and make a duplicate of “Cubase 6.app”
  2. Rename the copy to “Cubase 6 (6.0.2).app”
  3. Run the 6.5 Installer. Your “Cubase 6.app” will now be at version 6.5 and will be the
    “default” Cubase i.e. the version that launches if you double click on a project.
  4. If you want to launch your previous version, double click “Cubase 6 (6.0.2).app”
  5. If you decide you want to go back to 6.0.2 being your “default” Cubase…rename “Cubase 6.app”
    to “Cubase 6 (6.5).app” and rename “Cubase 6 (6.0.2).app” back to “Cubase 6.app”

Sounds more complicated to set up than it really is…anyway you can definitely have easy access to both versions.

Cheers
Tuch

I didn’t hear a difference between the two version.

Hello,

Nothing have been changed.

Cheers,

Chris