Cubase 6.5 Comp Lanes (No Lanes on imported tracks)

When importing audio files (individually) into a track in 6.5 and then turning the lanes feature on I’m getting empty lanes with the audio tracks still stacked up on one another.

I’ve tried several combinations… lanes off/on before importing and still the tracks remain stacked.

Any clues?

Did you put them in a folder and enable group edit? In an overly-simplistic view Lanes are for multi-pass recording on a single track. Group Edit is for multi-Track editing.

First thank you for the response!

I was unaware that the Lanes feature was exclusively for recording only… I have audio tracks from a different project (2 piano takes) and 2 (organ takes) that I want in the new version of project…

IMO a lane is a lane is a lane (take is a take is a take) and not sure why the takes have to be put into a folder before they can be comped… it’s still an audio file even if I stack them I should be able to select the lanes option and have them laned?

I did find the group editing function on the folder track… Thank you again

Did you try the “Cleanup lanes” function (right-click)? It should resolve ovrlapping events to new lanes.

Cheers,
Helge

You are having a terminology problem, not a technology problem. Lanes in this context is the wrong word. When you import you typically create a single audio event on a single track. The track in essence is a “lane”, but that isn’t how it is referenced in the Cubase compoing terminology. See below.

IMO a lane is a lane is a lane (take is a take is a take) and not sure why the takes have to be put into a folder before they can be comped… it’s still an audio file even if I stack them I should be able to select the lanes option and have them laned?

yes, a lane is a lane and a take is a take, but they are two different things and do two different things and so the editing options are different. An audio event is created as a unique “track” when you import an audio file. So, when you import your two piano files, you get two “lanes”, in this case they are unique tracks. To comp “tracks” you use group editing.

Takes are part of the loop/punch recording system, applied to a single “track”. Each loop or punch will add an additional “lane” to the same “track”. Comping for single track multi-pass recording is done by activating the “lanes” view.

So, really there are multiple scenarios for comping, and they have some unique verbiage to distinguish them. And, rightfully so, IMO.

EDIT: You can enable record on multiple tracks and each will get its own set of take lanes.

Thank you but…

I’m referring to the ability to import different takes of the same performance part… Several Vocal takes (recorded from another project) into a single track and turn on the lanes feature for comping a part. (Worked fine prior to 6.5) The Group editing function unless I’m missing something doesn’t offer the ability to audition the various takes without having to mute individual tracks? Comping in lanes is the faster way allowing the audition of the selected cut.

The admins solution did work… cleaning up lanes did open each imported wav file onto a lane…

Not sure why after importing the various takes… I have to use the clean up lanes prompt (promoted to clean up after comping) prior to making a single cut?

Yes, I know what you are saying. But, you literally aren’t grasping the difference. When you import multiple audio files, Cubase has no way to know what the relationship is. HENCE, group edit. When you do it internally, the “lanes” are a contiguous audio file with built in meta information for the association on a single track.

Is Cleanup Lanes available in 6.05?

Regardless of the “technical” terms… in Cubase 6 I could stack audio takes on top of one another on a single track and click the lanes feature… instantly showing each “take” embedded into a lane.

This went away in 6.5 until I now right click the clean up lanes and then they behave as I requested.

Thank you for the expertise… I prefer to use the Lanes feature on a single track rather than a 'Group Edit" of several tracks… simply just as if they had been recorded in the original project… on one track.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you have it working.

Glad it worked for you - it does not work for me.
This sucks. Cant you guys do regression testing before you release software to make sure nothing breaks?
I work with multiple musicians accross different continents and i need to be able to import the files and comp them quickly - which works really nice in 6.0. Now I have new and “improved” 6.5 which i paid for.