Cubase 6.5 Crashing and corrupting project file

Hey Guys,

I bought cubase 6.5 yesterday and have just experienced a big problem.

I was working on a track in Cubase 6 64bit for about an hour when it froze up. I close and reopened cuabse but then when I tried to open the project file it would not load. Cubase just hung and the task Manager showed cubased as not responding.
I restarted my computer and tried to re open the project file and the same thing occurred.

I now have an hours work sitting in a corrupted project file that I can not open.

This is a major concern for me as if this was to happen again on a large project I would loose all my work.

Is Cubase 6.5 unstable or is the 64bit version unstable or is there something else?
Is there anyway I can repair the corrupted project file?

I have no issues running Abelton Live 8 or any of my typical programs.

I am running windows 7 64 bit, Intel i5 2.67Ghz, 16GB RAM with 74.6GB space on c:.
My Audio Interface is Steinberg CI1.
My MIDI Input/interface is the Novation Impulse 61

Thanks Guys.

dr_groove

Try either disabling the plugins by renaming the plugin directories and or deleting the pref files.

Click on the red bit in my sig that says “useful info” for more details.

Thanks Split.

From what I have read over the forums looks like the best way to avoid this is to keep making new versions of the project file as I create new parts.

I dare say it’s as you suggested. Plugin incompatibility.

I am almost considering going back to 32 bit for now as a lot of my current plugins are 32 bit.

dr_groove

Every major change in the project you should save using Ctrl/Alt/S this automatically saves a new version with an incremental number to the CPR giving you a backup.

You should also use Jbridge for most of the 32bit plugins, it’s far more stable than the cubase bridge.