Cubase 6.5 / Cubase Artist 6.5: 6.5.4 Update available

ironically I use to also be an IT consultant…I will just repeat I have never had that problem and I know many others who haven’t…

of course there is a risk connecting your computer to the internet, as there is a risk whenever you drive your car you may be in an accident…etc etc etc…

anyway I am done with this… we will agree to disagree…
I want the choice…and most audio software is giving us the choice, and I imagine steinberg will at some point too.
rsp

what is your current version??

I have been in the biz 35 years and putting a daw on the internet is too big a risk for a PRO. You may be a professional IT person but you sound like an audio hobbyist to me. :laughing:

I hear you.
well good luck with you and the flat earth society.
rsp

I guess we have to fire the engineers at all the major TV network production houses and mix studios here. The idea that you can’t be on the net is moronic. All computers are on a network and the network is connected to the outside world. The idea that you want to run stuff around on a flash drive is beyond ridiculous.

Somehow they manage to run 24/7/365 with dozens of production/DAW computers connected to the internet.

I have worked with several computers linked on a local area network but internet connection was handled by only one computer (not a daw) and firewalls and other security was in place. Having a single daw connected is dangerous in my opinion. :open_mouth:

zz0zz is right on target with his response and summed up my point.

Like I said earlier, if you have an IT department who can secure your network with firewalls, switches, VLANS, proxy servers, etc…sure low risk and how most, if not all, corporate and commerical environments run their networks…

…but that scenario was not what we were debating.

zvenx is talking about his 1 main DAW being connected directly to the internet at his studio (red flag!). If the IT engineers are doing that in your commercial audio/video environment, then yes they should be fired. However, I’m willing to bet that your IT department is securing your LAN/WAN environment and it’s a matter of you not fully understanding technically how they do what they do so that it is safe.

Let’s just hope that zvenx has a good backup procedure for his clients’ work.

I completely disagree. Unless you are trolling sites you shouldn’t troll, or opening e-mails you shouldn’t open on your DAW you shouldn’t have problems. I haven’t for going on 20 years. When networking used to cause performance problems, I would disable the network while working in the DAW. But, not because of the silly “it’s not safe” BS. This group think crap about the internet and DAWs is based on FUD.

well I transfered all of my projects to a different drive… and removed cubase from my system, but after several tries I get this…

" The installation failed "

now what?

Risk nontheless…but hey it’s your company and you can run it as you like. Just because it hasn’t happend doesn’t mean it can’t. I’ve seen it happen even in the best of environments and wouldn’t run my business that way. I wouldn’t trust a network of users to “not open emails or troll sites they shouldn’t”. Human nature ensures someone eventually will and when it does happen, sometimes it aint pretty. What you’re defending isn’t standard practice and doesn’t create safe network environments. That’s not BS regardless of what your business is.

Back to original thread. If you can monitor a company’s user forum for as often as you do, you can just as frequently check to see if a new update is available. Personally, I’d rather see a developer’s time spent improving Cubase in other ways rather than being spent on adding a “check for updates” radio button. At best, I’d categorize this request as a low priority, “nice to have” feature.

Respecfully,
Charlie

ok… I cleared this up…

One my cubase 6 is an upgrade… I had to reinstall 4 first, then go to 6… then reinstall the license center,

I will NEVER UPGRADE AGAIN!!!

glad that you are up and running again…

I hope you don’t really mean the last line :slight_smile:…I am sure over time there will be additions to cubendo that will make your workflow that much easier.
rsp

Geez,

I hate to add fuel to a firey discussion. I don’t earn my life thru music and I am not an IT guy. I have missed a few updates for lack of searching here but…Steinberg makes it well understood that you must have a valid license, email address and other proven methods of valid ownership. It uses very little resources to email those licensed users for notification of product change. It gets done for many other elements of their business and so many others on the web.

In fact, I was just notified I won $5,000,000.00 in a lottery in another country :wink:

yes I agree I would like to get email announcements especially about updates.
is there a way to sign up?
:confused:

Yes, there is a Steinberg ‘news’ letter, but it’s usually quite late, sometimes weeks after new releases or such. AFAIK, the RSS feeds from Steinberg.net are the fastest way of knowing about developments.

i have updated my cubase from version 6 - 6.5 - 6.5.1 - 6.5.3 - 6.5.4

but there is still more bugs…!

1. everytime i try to clean up my Audio files, there is still unused file in my pool, i also have deleted bak file too…there is still same problem too, so i must transf my file to cubase 5…i do the samething, it works…

2. every time i use Nuendo plug in “pict shifter” after done the process, its failed, also automaticly closes it self…

3.also, i have an advice, i wish steinberg can give a satisfied service like “ilok”, every customer can have a guarantee, when the donggle is missing, it is stiil can get back the cubase back…the customer will happy…

btw thx…
i hope stenberg fix the bugs soon…

good luck with the first one.
I have reported that one till I am blue in the face from about June 2009 maybe (whenever Nuendo 5 came out)
and nada.
rsp

They do send out emails about updates. It’s in their newsletter. That’s how I found out about it:

Cubase (Artist) 6.5.3 maintenance update

Steinberg is pleased to release the first fully supported 6.5.3 maintenance update for its music recording and production systems, Cubase 6.5 and Cubase Artist 6.5. The free 6.5.3 update includes all corrections and enhancements of 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 pre-release maintenance updates and therefore replaces the older versions.

That was on September 7th. :smiley:

3.also, i have an advice, i wish steinberg can give a satisfied service like “ilok”, every customer can have a guarantee, when the donggle is missing, it is stiil can get back the cubase back…the customer will happy…

It has been noted recently that dongles can, indeed be replaced. However Cubase will not work without one so you may lose work. This is normal.

Since I have upgraded I can no longer check /correct the tempo via the media bay / loop browser