Cubase 6.5 - laptop audio recording

If this post belongs elsewhere then please by all means move it to another forum.

I’m using 6.5 artist on my laptop. It’s a Dell Vostro 1500 1.6 ghz Core 2 Duo. Is there some setting in Cubase that will allow my VST instruments to record to an audio track. I’m used to recording midi data, assigning a VST to that track and then adding an audio track - then hit record. Only nothing is recorded.

My fear is that the sound card in my laptop is simply not capable of doing this. My Delta 2946 does it, but that has an internal mixer.

The direct monitoring is grayed out and cannot be turned on. Perhaps this is required to record VST’s to an audio track.

Aug

There is a vid on Steinberg Tips and tricks that shows you how record your vst tracks directly to audio tracks

And the chapter “recording” in the manual also covers this…

Aloha a,

About 2/3 of the way down in the ‘Export’ d/log box there is an ‘Import into Project’ tab.

Using this function a user can export’ a VSTi track(s) as audio file and have that exported audio file show up back in the ‘Project Window’ as its own audio track.

(There is also a option to put the file(s) into the ‘Pool’.)

Then just mute or get rid of the original MIDI/VSTi track and ‘bob’s yer uncle’.

HTH (hope this helps)
{‘-’}

Thanks for the help all.

Curt, aloha to you too. I’ll give that a go and see if that works. My desktop records a VSTi live, then again, it’s being played through an alesis mixer to the monitors. I don’t think it’s feeding the signal back, so I doubt that’s how Cubase records it.

I’ll give your export instructions a try.

Thanks.

Well, it worked.

I think what my desktop is doing is recording a line from my mixer and thus the VST is being recorded. My laptop does not have that so it won’t record anything. I’ll try turning off my mixer and then recording while playing my keyboard with Atmosphere and see if my desktop still records.

Try this video tutorial from the steinberg youtube channel. I thought it was on the steinberg.net website but here it is, rendering vst instruments to audio tracks directly.

- YouTube (When you’re watching this on a tablet, like me.)
Otherwise

At first, Greg is discussing the freeze-function but keep watching to see how to route vst tracks or instruments directly into audio. I hope this is what you were looking for.

present,
Thanks and I’ll give the videos a look tonight.

I’m so used to recording a midi instrument on a midi channel. Then I simply add an audio track, and hit record and the VST instrument is recorded onto the audio track. Like I said, I have a feeling, it’s going through my mixer and back to the pc and that is why the audio channel is recording the VST. The VST is sending the signal to the mixer (so I can hear it) and the PC ends up recording it when it plays back. I’m upgrading right now from a Q6600 to an i7 so I won’t be able to test it until I get my system set up (probably about 1 week).

Ok, good luck on your system upgrade.
The vid describes a completely internal routing in Cubase so I think it should not be a problem.
Happy recording, anyway.

Aloha, C -

THanks for this tip! I was just pointed to this thread by thePresent. What I’ve been doing is routing the VSTi to a group, and then recording the group - your way sounds much simpler, and without cluttering up the mixer/arrange page so much.

Tanks!

[Edit: Had a chance to try this clean silky way of routing VSTi’s to audio … “Ahhhh”! Mahalo again, C!"]