Cubase 6 and Waves 9 [ CRASHES! ] on exit!

Al - OK, I am up to speed now. And sorry about your issues with C6.5 and V9. Hm. Well I am going to install Win7 here over the weekend - I think! And I do see where other folks here are running C6 and the V9 so I am feeling good about it. I guess my main interest was whether or not I should load the V9 installer BEFORE I change my OS or AFTER? And Paul could get back here… but it looks like he IS running V9 with XP. Hm, so I gotta wonder what would happen if I were to load V9 and then change my OS - whether this would make the transistion smoother/the same/worse. You know?

I just hate swapping OS’s and I want it to be as easy as possible, that’s my selfish concern. I guess I will just swap OS’s and then do the V9, what the hell.

It’s weird how Paul is able to run the V8 or V9 on his system without conflicts. Understanding what you went through, it doesn’t seem even remotely possible. Paul: Defyer of Huge Magnitude of Things Said Impossible. Go Paul!

If you are going from Windows XP…I would start from scratch with a newly formatted hard drive!! That of course means you will be re-installing ALL of your applications, and also taking notice that they are Win7 compatable! :slight_smile:

I’m just sayin’
Al

The v9 installer will install whatever bundle or plug-in you want it to. Just check the box. I wasn’t given any option as to whether to install the 32-bit or the 64-bit versions of the plug-ins during the online installation, so that I can’t help you with.

Here’s what happens:

if you check the box for a plug-in to be installed by the v9 installer:

The v9 version will be installed. If a lower version of the same plug-in is already installed, it will be updated. You can go back and re-install the v8 or lower version of any plug-in with that version’s installer. Given that XP SP3 is 32-bit only, I imagine the installer was designed to only install the 32-bit version and not give me a choice.

OK, thank you Al and Paul. And Al, you are right, that’s what I’m doing - I hate the thought of it, too. :cry: But it needs to be done.

Paul, OK, I get this now. Hm, if I didn’t have my sights on 64 bits I would just stick with V8 - but nice to know V9 would get the job done, too.

Well, I will do the fresh install of Win7 and take it from there. Thanks for the answers.

I upgraded today to version 9 and have no problems. Getting it authorized took a few times, One thing I did have to do is remove the 32 bit dll files from Jbridge. I was using Jbridge to run in 64 bit and the first time I opened Cubase I received an error. When V9 uninstalls V8 it only removes the dlls that were installed by the program. With Jbridge I had a separate folder that I kept those plugins in that I had Cubase reference.

Cubase 6.5 and Waves 9 hangs on exit for me too in Windows 7 64 bit. I recently upgraded from XP to Win7 and like others on this thread, didn’t keep my Waves V8 plugins.

I also can’t open a project created in my old setup - CuBase crashes when it is trying to load the song and Windows reports that it has stopped responding.

OK, here is a twist on all of this, a Waves V9 twist that I am really angry about. Here’s my story.

I updated to Win7 64, easy enough. Then I installed V9, easy. Then I downloaded my bundles. Easy again. BUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT, here’s the catch. The Waves License Center - from the gate - gave me the option to store my plugins on my computer. Now, you can do this on a flashdrive, too, but I thought, well, on the computer is fine, its not going anywhere. Then I closed out my computer. I came back 3 hours later and turned on C6 - No Waves! WTF? So I opened the WLC and it showed my bundles on a device that was ‘disconnected’ from my computer. WTF? Hey, there was nothing to disconnect. And the thing is, there is no way to ‘reconnect’ this device - because it doesn’t exist - at least not that I can find. So I sat there and thought, OK, maybe my fresh Win7 install caused this, so I would reload my licenses. AND HERE I WAS WARNED THAT I CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR!!! But I thought, OK, Waves didn’t get back to me regarding all of this, so I should just go ahead and reload/recover my bundles, I can deal.

OK, again, the WLC spit out another icon to load my licenses on. And I thought, well, this thing that happened the last time was just a glitch, right? Ha! Not! I reloaded my licenses on this new icon and everything worked great! Sweeet! Then I turned off the computer and came back to it 3 hours later -------- my plugins were on a device that - once again - had been disconnected!!! And like the last time, I have no way to access it!!!

So… went to try this again, and, as Waves declared, I can only do this ONCE a year.

Am I mad? Ha! Yes I am. Imagine it: I spent $1000 for something 4 months ago that I am not ALLOWED to use for another 8 months. Is the Cloud working for you Brother? Ha! I sent them an email, my third one now. And BTW, while all of this was going on, I did get a kind of crypti-say-nothing response to my first email from someone in India, Yes, I did, so I don’t know what is going to happen here. As far as I can see, they have created a MONSTER with the WLC. So, note to all of you: download your licenses onto a flashdrive!!! Even though the WLC says what I did - load my licenses to my computer - is possible, it ain’t.

Now if one of you out there has ANY idea where this super secret disappearing ‘device’ is, I now have two on my computer, then I am all in. Anybody?

Are you using BitLocker, AppLocker or any of the new fancy Win7 hard drive encryption / protection features?
Are you running any anti-virus software that may interfere with the read / write operations to the hard drive?
Are you running your HDs in a RAID configuration (although I wouldn’t think that this would matter)?

Hello Mr. Roos

You might get a better response if you start a new thread with a discriptive title that best discribes the problem you’re having…that way people that have a similar problem and possible solution will see you more easily! :wink:

I have re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Win 7 Ultimate 64, Cubase 6, Fireface 800 driver, and Waves 9…after of course getting all Windows Updates…and Na da!! I thought there might be some rouge program remnants that might have been responsible for my problem before, but not any more! I have yet to install Cubase 6 and Waves 9 on a different computer, but because Waves 8 and Cubase 6 works properly…It’s looking like i’m waiting for a fix from Waves and /or Steinberg!

I did speak with a Waves tech. today, and he affirmed that it is legally okay to use V8 after you have upgraded to V9…so at least there are no licensing issues from reverting back to V8 (someone asked about this earlier in this thread).

@ Mr. Roos…I would call Waves! Their tech support is more than happy to take your call…and they have been very helpful toward me in the past!

Al

Yeah, roger that on the new thread… but honestly, I don’t think I could write that again!! I am just twisted about this Waves cloud. The more I think about it, I can’t believe they would offer a cloud program that limits the use of the ‘recovery’ process. And I say this regardless of the fact that they have created a program that disconnects the storage device from the program without the user’s request, or without giving him the option to reconnect it. For a company this big and also one so invloved with software it’s ridiculas really. I bought my Waves in December, wait 4 months for a 64 bit changeover that was predicted (by the salesman) to happen in January, and then they create a program that lets me use it for two days, only to take it away. Sweet! Great program, Waves. (And actually, they haven’t taken it away, they have instead left it with me, locked up up in some kind of magic disconnected computer flashdrive.)

As to anti-virus or any other program - no - I am running nothing and never have. My provider is a good one and I have my firewall on, that’s it. And you are right, I will call them tomorrow, first thing. I honestly think they have a jumped the gun here, releasing this, and I do believe I will get this worked out. Meanwhile I continue to urge others to use an actual flashdrive for this Wave’s cloud experience, and NOT the virtual one that pops up in their program.

I had this exact problem. Do you use any vpn client on your machine?.. The device ID is based on your physical nic MAC address, so as I had a vpn client installed the Waves client was associating the license with the clients vpn MAC address which was changing everytime time I rebooted. I had to find this out myself and relay the info to Waves support. Try uninstalling the vpn client if you have one and ask the guys at Waves support to let you recover your licenses again. If its not vpn specific, then Waves is associating another application with a non physical MAC address.

cubase 6.51 x64 and waves 9 running perfectly here. Did 3 big mixes this week running all x64 with lots of waves (CLA comps, Kramer tapes,Pye, JJP analogue) absolutely trouble free.

MC

OK, I did call Waves and they did help me. They could not - I repeat - COULD NOT find where these keys were being stored on my computer. I gave them full reign on it, via a portal, and they couldn’t find it. So, what they did do was reset the download process so I have another chance to recover my files in the future, which is nice, and we downloaded onto a, wait for it…a flashdrive! :laughing:

They are pretty quiet about any problems they are having but I was left with the feeling that, as I suspected, I am not the only one having a problem. I did hear the phrase,‘early launch problems’. Well, all good here once again. Thank you all for your ideas. Hm, that vpn thing you mention, it didn’t come up but really, I have no idea what that might be.??

Either way, you are looking at a flashdrive Waves user!!

I used the vpn client as an example as this was exactly what was causing the problem. The ‘Device Connected’ ID is your physical network MAC address. But my VPN client was assigning a different one everytime I rebooted, so no matter how many times I would of tried and recovered my license it would of always ‘disappeared’. My licenses were accessible by navigating to ‘c:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Licenses’ and were there but were not accessible as the license file references the MAC address assigned on the previous reboot. File extension should be .wle, but mine was .wle.out. It wasn’t until I realised this I unistalled the VPN client. I recovered the license one more time and it has worked fine ever since.

Waves were great in trying to resolve, and everything I found out I have sent onto them, so hopefully they can incorporate a fix so no one else experiences the problems I had.

Now I’m not sure if your problem was exactly the same as mine, but I’m glad you’ve got it working, but its been a damned frustrating experience!.. :slight_smile:

Well, that path did take me to the fubar licenses. The Waves tech couldn’t do this, actually. Its weird, they are sitting there, a Waves file, but the WLC can’t find it after creating it. So I assume they will fix this down the road. Funny thing, too, I confirmed the numbers and then erased them from the folder - thinking this would remove the worthless entries in my WLC - but it didn’t. Which makes sense because, Ha!, the WLC can’t find them. They have a program that is making files one moment, and then forgetting where it is. What a mess for Waves.

So are you saying that you are now booting your Waves with a disc storage key? I can only use a flashdrive for now. It would be weird to think that I have the only system like this and I know from talking to the tech that this is not the case. But from where I sit, I do not understand how it could work on a different computer and not mine. The tech did ask me, you know, ‘how many HDs do I have, plugin flashdrive devices, etc.’, and he looked, but everything Waves is on my C drive.

It’s just a crippled program for now as far as I can see, but they will fix it. In the meantime, my flashdrive connection is working. :sunglasses:

If you remove the broken license file it won’t get created again because the original device ID (that the licesne file was associated with) doesn’t exist anymore. Or another thing I tried was to rename the license file and rename the file extension from .wle.out back to .wle again and after starting the WLC utility the file got renamed back to .wle.out. But I have about 4 devices in WLC which correspond to nothing… :confused:

But to answer your question, yes I currently have the license file sitting in my c:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Licenses directory. You can always move your licence to the cloud and use it on another machine if you ever need to. But what a user could do to check is too run ipconfig (via cmd) and check the mac address of their network card and check to see if it matches the connected device ID within the WLC utility. Because remember if these don’t match then the Waves plugin will fail.

So I agree with you, the WLC utility is broken, but I would of thought that these problems will be ironed out in the next release. :smiley:

Hey “Tr3nity keys”, sorry i missed your post! Did you ever get your issues sorted? I was thinking about upgrading to Cubase 6.5, but it appears many others are also having Cubase hanging issues with version 6.5…so, I’m sticking with the version that works for me, which is 6.06 for a while longer on the chance that Steinberg, or Waves offer a better solution for me!

Al

works fine for me here… with Mercury (Cubase 6.5)

nexis

What are your system specs?

On the off-chance Cubase 6.5 might address the Cubase 6x/ Waves V9 hanging issue on my laptop…I decided to make the upgrade! :bulb:

Doh! :smiling_imp:

Well, now i know the issue will probably need to be addressed by Waves before there will be a solution for me! :neutral_face:

So, practicing due dilligence would suggest that the next step be to install the software onto a different machine…I’ll give that a shot then report back when I have more to add. But, certainly if anyone has any other suggestions…please fire away!

Thanks in advance!
Al