Cubase 6 EDU freezes on startup...please help!

Hey folks,

I’m new to Cubase and DAWs in general so please offer help in a simple matter :wink:

So after I purchased Cubase 6 EDU and installed it according to the instructions I tried to run it…unfortunately Windows 7 reports that “Cubase 6 has stopped working”. This always happens when the startup splashscreen gets to the point of “INITIALIZING: VIDEO PLAYER”

I have absolutely no idea why it happens…

I already installed Quicktime and the latest drivers for all my devices.

I am running Cubase 6 EDU 64bit on a:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15
Intel i5 430M Dual 2.27GHz
8GB RAM DDR3
120GB SSD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 545v
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

It’d be awesome if someone could help, after all not even getting Cubase to start sucks :frowning:

EDIT: I don’t know if it helps, but this is the problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase6.exe
Application Version: 6.0.0.229
Application Timestamp: 4cf95e39
Fault Module Name: atio6axx.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.9405
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b4e8a7a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000004f950
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: dcd2
Additional Information 2: dcd2644ea752d9b208d3c812856726f0
Additional Information 3: 1f4a
Additional Information 4: 1f4a8cb7ad479d89feef7170c54f68c8

The atio6axx.dll from your crash log is an ATI OpenGL video driver so certainly would seem to be something video related.

Not sure what to suggest…one thing that may be worth a quick try is disabling Aero if you use it (Think you can just select WIndows Classic desktop to get rid of it temporarily)

Also make sure you do have latest ATI drivers installed.

Hopefully someone else will have a more educated idea!

doesn’t help…all that happens is that I get the error 1ms faster :smiley:

anyone got some other ideas?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers a few times…didn’t do the tick either…

EDIT: I found a fix since I don’t need the video engine atm, from the program folder open the folder components and remove the videoengine.dll that will start up Cubase 6 without the video engine. However it’d be awesome if anyone can further suggest a fix just in case I need it at some stage!

Well good to hear you have some kind of workaround…hope someone out there has a better solution for you…did you file a support request with Steinberg already?

Searched for a way for faster startup without video initializing.
Removing videoengine.dll does the job, thank you.

Another thank you from me!

I just installed Cubase 6 and got the crash on “INITIALIZING: VIDEO PLAYER”. The bug was still there after applying the latest patch. Then I found this thread and my day was saved :smiley:

Now the quest is to find a permanent solution which includes having the video player working…

DJ

Apparently some GPUs claim support for certain OpenGL standards when indeed they don’t.

The video engine of Cubase 6 requires full support for OpenGL 2.0, which is a rather old standard.
Example: an ageing Nvidia 8600 GT I have here fully supports OpenGL 3.2 already.

Please use the following tool to verify that your GPU and GPU driver actually support OpenGL 2.0 completely:
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

The tool needs to say “100%” for OpenGL 2.0 (at least), otherwise the video engine can’t do its job.

Best,
Sebastian

Hi Guys
First of all thanks for the quick fix for getting Cubase up and running by renaming the viedoengine.dll file.
Secondly I’m running Cubase 5.5.3 with a ATI Radon HD 5870 which supports OpenGL 4.1 and I still have the issue so I’m not so sure that it’s the driver that kills it as the update for 5.5.X. I re-installed and it works at versions lower than this just fine. I know Steinberg are not going to put in any effert to fix this especially on a older version but if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears :wink:
Thanks again.
Noteorious.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5650 and had this problem. Upon checking the OpenGL support in the ATI drivers, it looked as if was missing - the OpenGL version was “blank” an the tool recommended by Steinberg support to diagnose it (404 - RealTech VR) did not find any OpenGL support. All this in spite of ATI’s alleged OpenGL support.

Just as I got help from Steinberg, I found that there was a new ATI driver, and lo and behold, this one reported OpenGL 4.1 and videoengine.dll now works. I.e it seems like some of the previous ATI drivers has OpenGL issues.

DJ