Cubase 6 - external midi controller and Halion SE

Trying to solve an issue; can’t seem to figure it out.
I’m using a Roland Fantom X6 connected via USB midi.
Cubase recognizes the fantomX device.
I know the communication is there because I can record a midi track with the keyboard just fine and get play back from Halion.
But, I can’t seem to get Halion to play sounds real time when i use the X6 keyboard.
Any suggestions to what I might look at?

thanks,
eric

You didn’t list any computer/software specs so here are a few questions and general thoughts…

• Please provide your computer OS and Cubase version.
  • Are you recording to a Cubase “midi” or “instrument” track?
  • Is the track “monitor” function activated while you are recording?
  • Is Halion and an instrument sound active while recording?
  • Is/was the stereo out track (or the associated midi/instrument track) set to “mute”?
  • Is everything set correctly per the Roland manual page 218?

Regards :sunglasses:

Prock, the answers to your questions:

• Please provide your computer OS and Cubase version.
    Win7 cubase6.0.7

• Are you recording to a Cubase “midi” or “instrument” track?
    I’ve done both

• Is the track “monitor” function activated while you are recording?
    Yes

• Is Halion and an instrument sound active while recording?
    Yes.
    But something I just noticed is that if I hit a key on the keyboard and while recording a midi track, the midi track doesn’t take that input.

• Is/was the stereo out track (or the associated midi/instrument track) set to “mute”?
    No. Checked and rechecked.

• Is everything set correctly per the Roland manual page 218?
    Yes. Like I said, Cubase is showing midi activity when I use the Fantom keyboard as well as when I record a midi track, it takes all control signals as expected. I can then turn around and play the track through Halion or any other midi synth.
    Also something to note is that the Midi fader.
    When I engage the fader, Halion recognizes the midi activity.
    And when I hit a key on the keyboard, the activity ‘gauge’ next to fader shows midi activity, but nothing happens in Halion.
    But, when i have a recorded midi track that i play back, the activity gauge shows the midi activity as well as Halion showing it’s receiving (playing back) the midi activity.

And Funny enough, when i still had midi cables ( a few years ago), my old Roland XP60 worked as expected.
This isn’t a new issue; just bugging me now to figure it out.