CUBASE 6 MAJOR PROBLEMS!!!!!

Totally agree with Conman.

Since computers are “generic” in terms of software, meaning, you CAN build a computer (hardware) made for a specific purpose, but most people don’t. They throw a “super” CPU, enormous hard drive (which anymore, isn’t necessarily so) and blam, think their ready to go. They forgot the motherboard or memory, or bought “cheap” memory vs adequately fast, or didn’t check up on that serial controller is onboard to match audio card or external audio boxes, etc.

With all these options out on the market (I am talking hardware parts for computers still) one has to contend that there is a certain standard that software will be written for. I mean, it would be nice if software could be written to run on ALL possible combinations, but that is just not a feasible expectation. It really would be the same as saying that car parts should fit ANY car, which is absurd, because they do NOT! lol

For example, about memory (RAM), with a 32-bit system it does not REALLY matter how much you put in your system, because only 4 GB’s can be “addressed”. What this ultimately means is that only that amount of space or memory locations can be used. Consider, if you will, a long road and how the governement does street numbering. In the USA it’s common to use 100 locations for each “block” (the space between two major cross streets), so if someone had a limit of 4 digits (compare to bits), then you would have a limited range of addresses for that road 9999 North/West to 9999 South/East, that’s it. If you upped to say 8 digits, the range of possible locations increase significantly. This is why the bit size, or width, is important and why 64-bit REALLY makes a difference in terms of music computing, since audio samples eat up loads of RAM that has to be “addressed” in real-time.

Yep!
agree with all of the above!!

the thing is… in the ‘good old days’ before DAWs when things were pretty much all analogue there was no way, just like today really, that you could operate the whole studio properly without some kind of study and or experience…
here in the UK the general route to becoming a sound engineer required at least 3 years at somewhere like Sandwell Tech and then another 3 or 4 assisting or gofering… NOTHING has changed in that respect!! And lots of people can’t or won’t accept that… shame really.

I think a lot of programs like ejay and reason to some extent lull people into a false sense of security that the whole business of producing finished recordings can be picked up in a few evenings… just an observation from MANY people i know personally in RL.

I expect this is the problem at the moment… looks like I have to get 64 bit asap. Thanks.

The VST that i was first using and wanted to duplicate was a simple drum kit. It had many plugins though, distortion VST amp rack and etc.

The amount of ram still usuably is around 30-40% while cubase is running.

ah well what can you do? haha looks like I’m grinding for 64bit! Thanks.

10 of the last 10 posts all 100% agree that RAM could be your issue… They are all Cubase users and 100% united in agreement on that subject.

You are at the BARE MINIMUM of RAM requirements. That is just about enough to start your system up and toy with recording - not much more

-Remember windows 7 Ultimate needs to reserve a chunk of ram itself - the rest is left for Cubase. You have 3.x gigs free in WIn7/32bit… windows takes at LEAST 1 gig… so you have up to 2gig left for Cubase… :astonished:

2Gigs is listed as the bare minimum to start Cubase alone. How much RAM is left over for your Virtual Instruments now?
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase6_specs_downloads.html

Let us know how it goes after at least doubling that RAM

ZING!!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply first of all! Wise words bud, I am saving up to make a computer strictly for my music. At the moment I am borrowing a friends computer because it was a major upgrade from my laptop that I used for my 3 first projects. Even though this computer isn’t that good spec wise… It still is more than enough than the recommended specs on the box. It should say something like “cubase 6 will have many issues with these recommended specs…” lol…
Well I have to work on getting a new computer and work with 64bit cause these setbacks are annoying and I got music to make! Thanks again for the feedback.

I agree with a lot of what has been said on this post… If I were the one to help put this desktop together these problems wouldn’t have occured:P but again I am borrowing a friends computer cause it was a huge upgrade from my laptop.
Well anyways thanks for the reply time to grind out a 64 bit comp!

Well almost every computer program with “recommended specs” should in my honest opinion should say a little more… even “with these recommended specs you may encounter a few issues” but they don’t because it is money business. What can you do eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

AAAH its understandable now…

In that case - do everything you can do to minimize RAM usage…

1. Turn off ALL extra features in Windows 7 before using Cubase (Turn off AERO, set windows to BEST PERFORMANCE MODE instead of best looks, etc)

2. FREEZE every new track you record - then it does not eat your memory and basically they play back like MP3’s

3. Remove the desktop wallpaper of an ALien Head (all Trance producers have some form of an Alien Head for their desktop image)

4. Maybe buy RAM for YOUR system when you can for under $100 USD and let your friend put it in his system until you get yours built. Then you both win !

Yea I can make a good assumption it is the RAM :stuck_out_tongue:
The desktop is running 32bit so no point to even upgrade the ram for the time being, what I need to do is build a computer! Thanks for the reply!

Yea I have done most of these things already I will try to turn off all the services through “msconfig” aswell…
No point to buy ram as 32bit will only allow less than 4gb. =/

Good point…

Good luck…

OOH… dont forget to remove the Alien… helped me a whole lot :laughing:

BTW - I used Vanguard…and now Nexus2 whats is your VSTi of choice

thanks again bud. haha
I am just using what cubase has to offer haven’t downloaded any other VSTs/plugins.
Cubase is one powerful DAW can’t wait to work with it seriously!

Just FYI, since you are in the process:

thanks for that bud.

If I were you I would make a clean installation of Windows 7 (64bit) and re-install Cubase after that.
Seems something in your system is not as it should be.

yea… sadly that cost more money! :stuck_out_tongue: ah well I’m saving to build myself a new computer for strictly music! :smiley: