Cubase 6, mp3 encoding license

After installing Cubase 6, I noticed on my USB key a “demo license” for some “mp3 encoding” with 20 encodings left, or something like that… (I’m not @ my computer right now, just remember this issue)

What does that mean? What is this demo license? Does that mean I can export 20 mp3 encoded mixdowns and then have to pay?

Somebody can explain?

Hi TabSel,

As you bought Cubase 6 you have unlimited exports of mp3s. Therefor, after the demo license expires you will still be able to export mp3s. :slight_smile:

Good to know - thanks !
Should be added to Cubase 6 FAQ.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi, I’ve Cubase 6 full, on my eLicenser control center I see “MP3 Encoder, Steinberg, Local, Sel, Demo, Expired, Expiration date 2011-05-03, remaining starts 20”.

After reading the previous posts on this thread, I sort of understand the encoder is enabled anyway.

When I export some audio as mp3, I only find the option “MPEG 1 Layer 3 File”, and it actually works (as expected). What I’d like to know is: is that a Fraunhofer Encoder? A Lame one? Does that matter anyway? I can’t find that information anywhere.

Paolo

It’s Fraunhofer. You can see that in the Plug-in Information window under Audo-Codec Plug-ins.
Cheers
B.

Hello Paolo,

Cubase Artist 6 and Cubase 6 have the same installer DVD. With Cubase Artist 6 there is not a full MP3 encoder license included. Only the demo encoder. That is why you see that information.

Cheers,

Chris

Many thanks B.

Many thanks also Chris

Paolo

@Chris

eLC version: 6.3.2.8071

Yeah the MP3 license thingy is really weird. I have always exported to MP3 with my cubase 5 essential, same now with artist 6. Neiter are supposed to have a full license for that.

Aloha guys and thanks for this thread.

Having just gotten a new dongle I had to register it with MySteinberg
and while doing so I noticed that same MP3 Encoder Expiration date
thang.

Mahalo to crohde and chris for the explanation.
{‘-’}

Hello Chordsolo,

You have Cubase 6, so you have the full MP3 encoder

The Cubase Artist 6 installation DVD is the same one as Cubase 6, so you will get automaticly the MP3 demo encoder license installed. This license you see in your screenshot.

Cheers,

Chris

I forgot to ask: is it possible to cancel the expired demo misleading info from the eLicenser and continue having the MP3 encoder enabled (speaking about full Cubase 6 of course)?

Paolo

ok, thanks…