Cubase 6 - Recorded audio not in sync

Hi

I have recently set up a new laptop for DAW, with Cubase 6 (latest update downloaded last week), and a Lexicon Omega USB audio interface. Everything is working perfectly, including VST instruments with nice low latency, except for audio recording. The sound quality is excellent but the recorded material is delayed ca. 50 ms when I listen back and by zooming in, in the project window, I get visual confirmation that the material is indeed placed later than how it was recorded. It is not due to my playing being THAT sloppy :laughing: . I have experimented with the audio tracks’ delay compensation and with a value of -50ms the material sounds in sync. I do NOT want to have to do that for all future recordings!

I will be very gratefule if anyone has a solution for this problem, or at least can point me in the right direction. Unfortunately I do not have a second audio interface to try and see whether the problem persists.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Soren

This could be a long diagnosis Soren!! :laughing:

Question 1) Do you have ANY plugins running at the audio input stage
Question 2) Do you have ADC/PDC checked or unchecked (Top Left Info Line)
Question 3) What Driver are you using in your VST connections…Are you using an ASIO/WDM / DIRECT MUSIC driver, what is the Name & type of Audio driver running during your record ing Project. (and also take a note of the latency in M/S from the Input/Output field.

Answer the 3 above & we can take things from there.! :wink:

Do you have wi-fi enabled?

Forget where exactly but there is a compensation pre/delay setting for audio in Preferences. So if the previous suggestions do not work for any reason try adjusting that.
To add to Disco’x suggestions are there any settings in your Soundcard Control Panel, like onboard FX that may need to be turned off? Delay etc.

Forget where exactly but there is a compensation pre/delay setting for audio in Preferences

Actually, you’ll find it in the Device setup…but if your delay is as much as 50ms there is something wrong that you should try to trace first & then you can use the record adjustment in combination with a loopback test to make it sample accurate.

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies so far. I will do my best to answer the diagnostic questions posed:

1. Do you have ANY plugins running at the audio input stage
    -----No, no insert effect plugins on the input channel
  2. Do you have ADC/PDC checked or unchecked (Top Left Info Line)
    -----Sorry, I do not know what ADC/PDC refers to and I cannot find any relevant info in the “top left info line”. Does it mean “audio delay compensation” and “Plugin delay compensation”…just guessing :question:
  3. What Driver are you using in your VST connections…Are you using an ASIO/WDM / DIRECT MUSIC driver, what is the Name & type of Audio driver running during your record ing Project. (and also take a note of the latency in M/S from the Input/Output field.
    -----I am using the Omega Asio driver
  4. Do you have wi-fi enabled?
    -----Yes, I do.
  5. there is a compensation pre/delay setting for audio in Preferences…
    -----IN the VST Audio System window I can find a “Adjust for Record Latency” checkbox which is checked. Not by me, I am sure. And there is a “Record Shift” field with “0 samples” selected.

Soren

1. Do you have wi-fi enabled?
    -----Yes, I do.

Disable it. Very good chance that this is the problem.

Hi, you didn’t fully answer that question. Go to “Devices–>Device Setup” and look at the top right of the screen. The Omega driver may be set for hi latency. NOTE: lo-latency is normally used for recording, hi-latency is configured for playback and mixing.

i always have problems with my usb card as regards audio being out of sync, but my pci card no problems at all.

HI again

I am providing the missing information in the hope that it will help with diagnosing my “recorded audio being delayed ca. 50ms”.

Here is the full information from the Device Setup Window:
VST Audio System

1. Omega Asio - Asio Driver
  2. Release Driver when APplication is in Background is not checked
  3. Input latency: 5.601ms
  4. Output latency: 5.601ms
  5. HW Sample Rate: 44.100kHz
  6. HW Pull Up/Down: Off
  7. Audio Priority = Boost
  8. Multi Processing checked
  9. Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme checked
  10. Disk Preload = 2 Seconds
  11. Adjust for Record Latency not checked
  12. Record Shift = 0 Samples

Furthermore I now disable wireless before starting Cubase.

And to all the Germans here, contratulations with the football victory last night!