Cubase 6 - Slow GUI.. and its getting slower...

yeah, most of my plugins apart from BFD2 ( which i absolutely LOVE to pieces :smiley: ) are 32-bit…

i havent loaded in a large project yet to cubase 6.5 32-bit version, as im just in the process right now of installing my old plugins…

im not sure that - that was the problem, i say “problem” i can STILL work with large ( huge ) projects in 64-bit cubase.

ill keep you updated, as usual, any info, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

It may well be.

As you know, a 32 bit plugin running in a 64 bit DAW program has to be bridged.
That bridging process is not 1:1.
A bridged plugin will take more CPU resources.

See this article:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/what-is-the-vst-bridge/

particularly this:

Consequently, the usage of “bridged” plug-ins can result in higher CPU load and the plug-in user interface may react slowly.

Like this: average extra resources to bridge plugin x (number of plugins per track x number of tracks)

Even on a fast computer like yours, this can add up.
Also remember that bridged plugins share only 4GB total of memory (which is a separate process from Cubase, so it won’t show up in Cubase’s memory usage or CPU usage).
Then throw in the real-time calculations (and data polling from the bridged plugs) for the meters…

ok cheers,

i now have another problem…

heres what ive done…

i installed cubase 6.5 clean install on windows 7 ultimate.

i then bought dark planet.

it all works fine in Cubase 6.5 (64-bit) version, the patches show up in Halion Sonic SE fine…

I then realised that maybe 32-bit version of cubase would allow me to run some plugins i love…

they did, so happy days,

BUT - Halion Sonic SE cant seem to find the patches of Dark Planet, in 32-bit. they show up in 64-bit…

is there a setting i can change to allow 32-bit version of cubase to see these patches, or is dark planet 64-bit only ?

It installs to a common folder, so Cubase 32 bit should be able to see it.

32 and 64 bit are irrelevant here as it’s just an addon to an existing VI.

However, have you updated Cubase 32 bit’s Halion Sonic SE to 1.6?
That will be separate from Cubase 64 bit.

ahHH!!! no i havent updated halion sonic SE yet !!!

NICE ONE !!! youre handy to know!

just ran the installer for 1.6… it said i hadnt updated halion sonic.

how many things are we, as humans supposed to remember !! LOL

:unamused:

:laughing:

You’re welcome.

no joy, still not seeing them…

does this mean im going to have to uninstall 64-bit and re-install them both at the same time ?

what a bawl-ache :frowning: lol

You might try uninstalling (via the “Programs and Features” in the control panel) Dark Planet then reinstalling Dark Planet before that.

just reinstalled dark planet, the patches show up fine in halion one SE in 64-bit version, but still not in 32-bit…

i must be really dense… :frowning: any help is MASSIVELY appreciated.

You may want to create a new thread with a different topic for this.

I’m stumped. :frowning:

If you have built lots of systems and done all the right things for many years then you will KNOW that this is not (just) a Cubase issue.
You will also KNOW that humans building computers will have an awful lot to remember and consider.
If you’re telling the truth about your building experience I’d come off the forum, because it will just add more confusion to your plight, and uninstall all off that rig and take it apart and rebuild it.

I’ll even PM a mod if you like to tell you the same things with “authority”.
But I recommend it because with C6+/ W7/ and that rig of yours this should not be happening to you because it does not happen to thousands of others with the same rig.

er… ok.

yes, very experienced at building machines. sorry to upset you there.

this morning i uninstalled everything, crap cleaned out registry, deleted all roaming/cache folders etc…

rebooted, installed cubase 32-bit and 64-bit versions. ive since addressed the problem as being 64-bit versions work harder with 32-bit plugs, as most of mine are.

so problem solved. there is no re-draw issue with my gfx card. everything is as smooth as silk in 32-bit mode. it was a 64-bit issue with my plugins.

oh, and there is no need to be rude either. next time you have a problem, im sure you’ll be able to fix it without asking for some advice first, because im not proud to ask for help when i need it.