Cubase 6 Steinberg Audio Power Scheme

Hi everybody,
I’m quite new to this forum, I bought Cubase 6 only a months ago…
I now finished to tune my new PC in order to get the best performance for a DAW.

I discovered this function, that for me works in the opposite way, it make the CPU to work with a lighter workload, less latency (tested with DPC Latency Checker), and less ASIO driver workload (as shown on the bar led of cubase) !

Any explanation ?

My PC has the following main components :

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
I5 2500K 3,3 / 3,6 Ghz quad core
8 GB RAM 1,6 Ghz ram
SSD Vortex 3 SATA 3 HDD
Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard
Firewire Texas Instruments (integrated) - but with Windows 7 driver “LEGACY” - No TI (default, as indicated by MOTU)
MOTU Ultralite MK3 audio card

On Cubase 6, I normally use an average of 10 active track concurrently, with VST and pulg in, mixed midi and audio track. The average cpu usage, without SAPS active is 11%, with it active it goes down at 6% with all the four cores equallly loaded !
More important is the latency it drops down from 150/200 microS to only 70/90 microS !!!

Are these good results, thanks to my hardware really fast ??

Why Steinberg did that generalized warning message about the increase of CPU workload ?

Yes, that is the expected behaviour, it gives you better performance at the cost of more heat (and potentially shorten the life of your CPU if you have inferior cooling).

From another thread:

By the time you cpu burns you can get it second hand for nealry nothing :wink:

On the other hand I noticed that it’s the fans wich needs attention after a few years. :arrow_right:

Absolutely, I don’t worry a bit. As long as the max temp is at a safe level your processor will live until it’s time to get a new system anyway.

Strangely, all my cpu fans have held up really good despite years of poor cleaning (while I’ve killed numerous chassis fans), but thats no reason not to give them a bit of care now and then.

/A

Is this Steinberg audio scheme actually doing the same as one would do manually by turning off everything related to power saving in control panel/power saving? Or does it do something beyond that?
The reason I’m asking this is because I notice that on my laptop fans go mad with the Steinberg scheme on, but if I leave it off and change the settings manually, the fans remain rather quiet.
Steinberg scheme + laptop is probably not a good idea anyway…

Edit: I remember reading that the power settings for NVidia GPUs can only be changed with an additional program. Could this be the difference? I mean, that the Steinberg audio scheme also switches off power saving for the GPU, while tweaking power settings manually doesn’t? This would of course mean that with the Steinberg scheme on, the GPU fans run close to maximum. It would be an explanation for my noisy fans when using this audio scheme.

I have a potentially stupid question. How do you monitor CPU temperature?

Not a stupid question, but difficult to answer.

The answer lies in the support effort of the manufacturer(S) of your mainboard / chipsets.
You need to install the tools included by your system, like system utilities. For ASUS motherboards there are tools available through their software support pages, it depends on the manufacturer if he supplies utilities for the users.

Thanks! I’ll check at Intel.

You could try this …

I installed it on my netbook and laptop to try it out. Seems pretty good so far so I might try it on my desktop. Small footprint. Only does what you need.

You can also use RealTemp at http://www.techpowerup.com
HTH
J.L.
Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring