Cubase 7.5.2 issues with UAD

And you seriously think that the above is going to elicit a helpful response from UAD?! Some advice for the next time you try and ask for support from any company:-

1. Be polite - it costs nothing to be polite. Imagine walking up to someone and hitting them with a club and then asking for help. Their immediate response would be “Why should I help you?”

2. Consider that it might be your fault. Before dashing off a diatribe that pins all of the blame on the supplier, consider for a second that it might be something you are doing wrong? Describe your problem in as much detail as you can and then ask if they can suggest anything that might help you fix it. If they are aware that this is a bug they will tell you.

3. No matter how angry you are, thank them for any help that they can give in advance.

Everytime someone like you writes an email like this to someone, you put the development of the civilised human race back 10 minutes. Manners cost nothing and will get you much further down the track.

Many thanks

You are probably right and yes, I’m not always proud of myself. There was no offer of help from UAD other than for me to revert to 7.0.6.

Contrary to appearances I am never usually brusque with developers. I don’t mind helping to sort out problems. I bought Linplug’s Spectral a while ago and there were all kinds of issues with 7.5. I ran all kinds of diagnostic tests for them and I was pleased to do it despite the inconvenience. Lets face it people here on this forum have not always been terribly complimentary about the new Cubase mixer and some of the new functionality. Sometimes companies only react to unrest. Perhaps you are someone who never gets cross - I’m afraid I’m not that virtuous.
I think that human race has probably progressed faster because of people being dissatisfied and cross about things that affect them.

7.06, not even 7.07?

I’ve been running 7.06 because some people were having problems with 07 when it came out.

Good choice I guess.

For the record, The only issue I have with my UAD-2 cards (Duo and Solo) using Cubase 7.5.20 is that occasionally the plugin appears to be inactive and I have to delete and add them back in the insert. I am not sure what event causes this issue but its not from freezing tracks which someone mentioned earlier. HOWEVER, this happened even in 6.5.x and even 7.0.x so I don’t pay any mind to it because it happens infrequently. Someone should fix it though!

Just thought I would mention that this has been like this since Cubase 5 at least, it’s a strange bug, as it doesn’t always happen!.. it only seems to happen to frozen tracks that are frozen before opening the project.

I have a bit more UAD power these days so I don’t find myself freezing anymore, shame this bug still is not fixed

As I mentioned above, it’s happened to me occasionally as far back as 6.5 and I never freeze tracks.
When I was using 5.0 and 5.5 I had a UAD-1 card using Windows XP and I can’t remember if I had this problem as well…I could have but I can’t confirm.

Just curious as to how much UAD power you have. I have an Octo and two Duos, and I’m freezing all the time. I’ll max out the DSP just on a drum submix, and that’s by doing little more than a Studer and a Neve on each track, as suggested by UA.

UPDATE - UA lists the new 7.8 software as being fully compatible with Cubase 7.5, and although it’s early going, all my issues so far appear to have been fixed.

If any of my UAD plug-ins are left deactivated for some time, upon activation they are doing nothing and have to be reloaded. Was in 7.06 and still here with 7.5.2. Not a show-stopper, but can’t say i like it.

Cool. I will upgrade my UAD drivers tomorrow and see what happens.

The issue of UAD plug-ins becoming inactive has been around for a while and happens to me in Nuendo 5.5 as well as C7. It often happens in projects where I have the UAD turned off (i.e. the power button at top left of the plugin window), save the project and when I re-open the plugin remains inactive. I have talked to UAD about it but as it’s not completely repeatable it’s hard to nail down. It can’t be all that common, and this is the first time I heard of Windows users getting it.

I’m just glad to know other people have called them about it. When I talked to them, they acted like I was the only person in the world to ever have the problem.

Hi,

I’m on Cubase 8.0.5 and UAD Satellite 7.11.0 and having massive problems with syncing (channels with UAD plugins are out of line with each other). I’ve only got a few plugins in this project and not only does it have problems syncing it is crashing, I cannot conclude whether it is a Cubase, UAD or Windows issue, if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated as I’m tearing my hair out here.

Are you talking about the channels with UAD plugins being out of time with the other channels by a few to many milliseconds?

Yes, although its nearly a second, making it unworkable.

For me, this issue was caused by UAD plugins on a track that had been unfrozen. The latency delay compensation magic of Cubase doesn’t pick these plugins up and compensate accordingly. This is an acknowledged bug on UA’s end, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

My workaround is tedious and maddening, but does work - Go UAD plugin by plugin on the affected track, right click and copy settings, then unload/reload the plugin and paste the settings back in.

This issue, and UA’s lack of concern about it (even though they admit it’s a bug) has caused me to stop spending money with them and instead buy plugins from other vendors.

Works fine here. Steinberg blames UA for your issues, UA blames Steinberg. my biggest problem with the current release is teh fact that every 10 minutes or so (i think when it’s autosaving) Cubase now forces me to wait about a minute while everything freezes. Steinberg in general is less responsive about everything than UA. Combine these and I tend to blame Steinberg.

I’ll paste in here what Dan at UA emailed me:

"I wanted to let you know that we have confirmed and documented this as a bug. We have found this problem occurs when using the ‘freeze’ function. It also occurs when loading a project with disabled plugins or loading a template with disabled plugins. Something with the Steinberg applications and the UAD-2 plugins is causing a conflict and leaves the plugin in some sort of state similar to being ‘disabled’.

As this has only now been recognized and documented we do not have a solution to offer at the moment. It has been prioritized and placed on a ‘Software Maintenance’ project which raises the issue to a top level with engineering. Again I don’t have a timeline on a fix for this issue but at least we now have it documented and we can start working on a solution.
… … …
All the best to you.

Best Regards,

Dan
Customer Support
Universal Audio "

Ah. I thought you were saying that delay compensation doesn’t work with UAD plugs, but this is in conjunction with having used the freeze function - which I don’t think I’ve ever used.

As you probably know, there were all kinds of bugs relating to UAD plugins in pre 7.5 releases which were definitely Steinberg issues and were fixed in the last update to 7.0

I’ve clicked the delay compensation button in Cubase as advised by tech support at UAD, however my plugins will not work at all when this is selected, they are grayed out and won’t turn on, not even new instances.

Really frustrating I can’t use more than a few UAD plugins and massive delays with the precision multiband dynamics…