Cubase 7.5 and sending MIDI Program Changes

Ok set up Nord Lead (as in example)
Inspector
All MIDI inputs
NordLead (as the OUT)
Channel 5 (which is the RX for the NORD)
Then do I just select some patches and see if it changes?

Yes. Select some patches on the inspector.

You should find that the Bank Select fields have been replaced with a long drop down list. Try selecting some patches from that. The Bank Select messages will be sent automatically according to what patches from the list you select.

If your Nord responds (even if it doesn’t select the “correct” patch but does change banks) then we know that there is a continuous MIDI connection between the track inspector and the Nord and that its capable of transferring Bank Select messages.

Ok Yes that is sending Patches and changing Banks!

Right! Then we’ve proved there is a connection between your inspector and the Nord.

If you now unload the MIDI Device Map (coz it probably has no real relation to your instrument) but change nothing else, the inspector should revert to its Bank Select and Patch windows.

If you now play with the Bank Select and Patch numbers, does the Nord respond?

(I’ve got everything crossed here but I think I know what you’re going to say!)

Same as before Pgm numbers are fine but Bank does nothing to change to A, B, C or D

I exported the XML of the set up…can we learn anything from that?

Then I’m completely mystified.

We’ve proved the Bank Select messages you need to send are right (using the MIDI file)
We’ve proved there is a connection between your Nord and the track inspector and that that connection is capable of transferring Bank Select messages (using the Nord MIDI Device Map)

I’ve also checked the Nord Lead MIDI Device Map and it is showing that the Bank Selects its using are 0, 1, 2, 3 in the LSB (CC 32). But when you key these into the inspector manually you can see MIDI being transmitted but no response from the Nord.

I’m really sorry but I’ve run out of ideas. Perhaps your version of Cubase is haunted; you could either get an exorcist or perhaps raise a support ticket with Steinberg.

If you mean the Nord Lead MIDI Device Map, I’ve already been there and confirmed that the Bank Select messages its using are exactly the same as the ones you’re keying in manually.

ok thanks anyway…fun trying to chase it down though :slight_smile:

One last thought…

Are you able to do a search of the Nord Stage 2 forum for “MIDI Device Map”.

I can’t do it because I don’t have a UserID but I think you do.

Yes, done that…there isn’t one …yet!

But at least I know how to set up a PGM change using the LIST EDITOR now!

last thing then…how do you add controller info using the LIST EDiTOR?

ok…don’t bother…I have found it ! :laughing: