Cubase 7.5 Project - extract information

Hi All

Obviously when saving a project file, all the relevant information is saved within that file, like what VST’s were used, what FX were applied, song structure etc etc.

Now over time, I’ve “cleaned” up my PC by removing VST’s I thought were no longer used, fair enough, if I open a project containing the missing VST, i am informed about it.
I’ve re-installed the missing VST but find that the sound is different to what it was, perhaps the FX settings etc.

Sometimes, what I do is to use the Notepad within Cubase to make notes about the particular sound used, any FX, just in case, and it’s helped me out few times for sure. This is usually done for the MIDI tracks only as audio, it’ll remain or is bounced, but there is a lot more flexibility with MIDI than audio.

So my question is if there is a way of extracting specific information to save me from typing it in? Maybe to be more selective as to what information I would like to extract.
Perhaps things like the VST, patch used, the FX (specifics) etc but I’ve not been able to find out how to do this so far.

I am sure there are many like me who start a project, only to keep on working on it years later, due to time constraints and are reluctant to cut your losses and move onto the next project, after all, it’s digital so what’s the harm in keeping it?! Having additional information on hand should the project not load correctly etc could help out a great deal.

Maybe this is a feature request? It’s not a must, but a nice to have feature.

thanks
B

I have the same problem. When new versions of VST’s are installed the old versions are sometimes overwritten or uninstalled (say ver 4 to ver 5). When I go back to older projects they ask for the older versions. Sometimes I can just select the new version and providing the same settings/patch is available there are no problems. However sometimes I need to know the patch name but Cubase does not always display this info. Occasionally I reinstall the old version of the VST then I can get the patch name, and then go back to the new version. This is all very time consuming and does not always work.

So I totally agree with SoundOf, more info would be great.

I just wish the project file was an xml file, because that would mean that all information (including MIDI) could be extracted.

It would also allow for using XSL transform sheets to clean up, reorganise or print out one or more projects. Of course, a badly designed one could thoroughly mangle your projects, which is possibly why SB locks down the internal format from over-ambitious experimenter’s eyes.

Mind you, xml files can be made to have cryptic structures as well.