CUBASE 7 ~ CHORD TRACK ALONE IS WORTH THE UPGRADE.

:sunglasses:

it has absolutely nothing to do with ‘knowing what they are doing’

I never said or even implied that people who use the chord track don’t know what they’re doing. You’re twisting my words. I said that anyone who knows what he/she is doing does not need a computerized assistant to do voicing.

with the patronizing implication that anyone who finds the chord track useful is somehow not a > real musician> .

You’re reading things that aren’t there.

I just think its sad to belittle other users (i.e. ‘musicians knowing what they are doing’ ) who are really just more open minded than you clearly; but each to their own etc, forums are for opinion and contrast is good!

Again, I never said or implied that people who use the chord track don’t know what they’re doing. I said --and obviously I’ll have to repeat for someone to understand-- that whoever knows what he/she is doing doesn’t need a computerized assistant to do voicing.

I did not belittle anyone. I just said that the chord track in full-auto doesn’t really work. You don’t need to be that defensive.

So, if I had to be just as testy and defensive as some people here are, I would say that you’ve just insulted every musician who has studied theory (the fools, right?) Go away Mozart, Beethoven, Miles Davis and Bill Evans you’re not creative! You knew too much theory, therefore your music is trash!! Behold the “creativety” (sic!) of Justin Bieber!

See how easy it is to get “offended” and reply with fake outrage?

I love having it available! Worthy!!!

papi61 previously wrote:

“I don’t need an “assistant” to do voicing, and neither does any other musician who knows what he/she is doing.”
“I really have no use for the chord track, but just to see how useful it could be to those who don’t know harmony,”

What gets me about people who jump into a thread like this to just pee all over it and simultaneously establish their superiority ,is when they’re called on their snotty attitude, they go into denial. You’d be a lot better just continuing to remind us that tools in Cubase are beneath you but maybe fine for the rest of us morons. Or better yet, just go away

There is no fake outrage ,no one’s defensive ,there’s just a poster (you) trying to have it both ways.

Chord Track is very useful - maybe more so - if you do “know what you’re doing”, especially with score work and projects with lots of different MIDI tracks. It can be seen as an “arrange” feature. It’s worth getting to know this feature before dismissing it as a play for neophytes

Exactly!

+1

This thread was a joy to read because I share the opinions on the benefits that have been expressed here. I was feeling a little guilting asking the assistant for help - but I am a guitarist and only a weak pianist. Its like having someone to collaborate with when there’s no keyboard player in the house. Thanks Steinberg for spending your development Euros on this very useful addition – its clearly not a novelty.

I’ve not known what I am doing for the last 53 years of guitar playing but it sounds pretty. Now I’m trying to record it …not knowing how to do that either. When I discovered chord track, I thought it was one of the most enlightening Cubase experiences I’ve had.

With thousands of chords available it brings to life some options I would have never thought sounded that good despite my personal arsenal of playing experience. Hearing it so quickly stimulates ideas. Frankly, it amazes me

BTW jxm, we share that piano thing … You are not alone

Well as a composer tool I guess it is alright, however it does not do a very good job on the analyze part. I also have EzKeys from Toontrack that also have a built in analyzer that does an almost perfect job and that often contradicts CB7 Chord track. On simple chords like C, C7, Cm, Cm7 and likes, CB7 does the job perfectly, but on some dim, add, and 6 chords and likes it is sometimes quite off.